Changes to the Canadian system

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
Just so I don't hijack another post....

I have heard they are changing the Canadian system - mind you not all provinces are the same as I have learned - so my question is what are these changes and why the change??

I did not know the old system very well, but it did seem odd to me that is was different across the country and that must make things difficult as you make your way up the levels.

To my understanding it is just Ontario changing and too the USAG JO program. And I am pretty sure that even though the levels very province to procinve this is only for the provincial program, there is a national program that is standardized. Not 100% sure on all this, all i can say is that I hope it doesnt change here!

I had heard that only Ontario is changing, and that they are changing to the USAG system. Including the compulsories. The rest of the country will continue to use the CPP. THis should be interesting when the Ontario girls go to Easterns etc as requirements are not the same.

Hard to imagine we will be hearing those compulsory music choices at Gymnix!

Am I correct that the CPP ma be changing the Provincial/Regional Programs? I heard a parent/judge who is a former coach saying that they may get rid of Advanced/Advanced Optional in the egional program and then have P2A for those who rain under "X" number of hours and P2B for those who train over "X" number of hours.

I still don't understand why they would do this over rying to come up with a standad across the country.

Not sure Margg. I really only am very clear on the Quebec system, and it is different as we have a regional program (circuit regional) that addresses kids who train less than 9 hours a week, for WAG, and keeps them out of competing against kids in the Provincial system, who tend to train more hours. I cannot imagine Quebec getting rid of the circuit regional as it works so well and has it's own championships. It also allows the participants to compete T&T at the same time.

There is already a standard across the country, the Canadian Provincial Program, and the National program. They seem to work well for everyone else. Ontario seems to want to align itself with the USAG system.

It will be very interesting to see how the changes are received in Ontario as they roll out into the clubs. I cannot imagine the kids will love the compulsory routines after having their own. I also find the rigidity of skills holds some kids back, where under the present system any number of skills can fulfill the requirements.

The Quebec circuit program sounds a little bit like the invitational program in ortario (formerly called Interclub). The difference is that it is just for invitational competitions and they do not have any championships.

I will also be interested to see how it all plays out with regards to the rest of the country and competitions like Gymnix and that big one out in Alberta that was cancelled this year, Wild Rose.

I am sort of glad that dd will be moving to the pnn level because at least we know that program is consistent across the country. I wish they would have a nationally regulated provincial program that every province had to follow. It's all so confusing for parents like me (or maybe it's JUST me, lol)

The Quebec Circuit regional is wonderful. Both my kids did it, and also some provincial gym. OUr club has no girls that train more than 12 hours a week, so it is hard to compete against the bigger clubs.

The circuit regional kids do three qualifiers and can qualify to the Challenge des regions, where the 18 regions of Quebec bring their team and they compete individually and as a team for awards. Kids can qualify on one apparatus, or as an AA gymnast and there are two groups competing at each level, so that kids who are not strong on one apparatus can still compete. I wasn't sure about the system when it was first introduced about 5 years ago, but I have to say it has been great and has allowed my kids to try T&T despite their limited hours. Baby Bog actually was the provincial tumbling champ two years back through the circuit regional. All P1 kids compete in the circuit regional as well, so this makes the Provincial comps smaller and easier to manage. Plus it limits the training hours to 9 hours at P1.

I find the Ontario system confusing as well. It seems very bitty and disorganised. I wonder if under the new system that girls will do many more meets as they will be able to cross the border very easily with the lower levels. Right now most girls only do the three qualifiers in Ontario, in the USA many girls do 10 or more meets a season.

Yea wild rose is cancelled for personal reasons of those who run the competition, I heard there was family illness with them so they dont have the time. All I know is that my coach was not mentioned any changes to my province and she is very up to date with what is happening. Wont it make it difficult for other provinces to travel to ontario if they adopt the compulsory system? The only program we have here is provincial and national and all thrvhours very greatly by gym but there is no seperation.

Yes bog, and it's hard for the invitaional kids and the provincial kids in my opinion. The provincial girls do their qualifiers and are done now except for championships, where the invitational competition "season" is just getting underway. So the girls that don't go provincial haven't even competed yet at all this year, except those that competed at Gymnix. :/

We also have the ODP (Ontario Developmental Program) wchich seems like it is really similar to the TOPS in the US, except for the fact that they still won't flash scores or do placements for any child under 9.

I wonder if that policy is going out the window when the new systems begins?

I guess we wait and see.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back