Parents clueless mom ? #2 - grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Grips are the things they wear while on the uneven bars - yes? Are they optional or a standard thing to have? My new gymnast is sportin' some manly looking calluses and one tore off tonight so her hand was taped.

Yep, grips are worn on bars. Usually gyms have them after level 5, and most gymnasts use them. They don't necessarily make less rips or calluses. Most people use them, but there are obviously exceptions; a girl who went elite at my gym never used grips.

Like gymnastbeth said they usually start using them after level 5. Dds coaches told her when they wanted her to start using them. I guess they help but my dd has callouses and still gets rips :(. Have her talk with the coaches about it.

i second having her talk to her coach as some gyms may be very particular about when they will allow them to start using grips. Our gym does not like them to use them until they have a very well established kip and are training giants, which is usually around level 5. I know gymnasts who went out and bought them (and they run about $50) and then were told they were not allowed to use them.

Our kids usually go into grips the summer before their level 5 year. Some of the older girls may go in earlier because our coach says weight plays a role in it too.

My DD rarely rips and complains about it (fool) and her coach told her once she is a little heavier, she will get more rips.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back