MAG Coach as the judge

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I have to say I like the coach as a judge better than the parent as a judge. We have a few (3 or so) that have or have had boys in gymnastics in the state. I think that would be MUCH harder. Some have coached on the side too, but are primarily parents. But, you take what you have available to you. We know most of our judges by first name, and know what to expect from them now.

We have a meet on Friday and our coach is the floor judge. She has told the boys and scored their routines several times in practice. I don't have a problem with this because I know her well, but would you have a problem with a competitors coach as a judge??

No...I would not have a problem unless their is an obvious reason to have a problem. It this case...I'm sure the problem would be resolved.

I have to say I like the coach as a judge better than the parent as a judge.
Our coaches definitely complain about the "parent as judge" situations when they happen at meets. The HC in particular feels that judges should have competed or coached successfully at or higher than the level they're judging. He can't stand the fact that anyone can go take a test and then start tossing out scores.

Our judges are mostly fairly...older. Not all, but A LOT, especially of those who do many, many meets throughout the season. So I don't think we have any parents, however on the boys side is different, in my state they are just trying to cobble together meets often, and so some parents have gotten involved as a way to keep the sport going (learning to coach or judge). The ones I know are well respected.

It happens in all regional meets here, no way of avoiding it. Most of the lower level judges are coaches, and very good as well. I have never noticed any issues with it at all. Our higher level brevet judges have mostly been coaches at some point. Gymnastics is a very small world.

we have it on our boys team and sort of on our girls team. For the boys we have one coach who judges at nearly every meet and our HC judges at some too. We have boys in every level from 4-10, so if they are going to judge, they will judge our boys. And from what they have said (and what I have seen), if anything they judge our boys harder.
Our gym is kind of different than most in that we are in a rec facility; but the team is not part of the rec department. the head of the rec department judges for girls sometimes. She said she tries to minimize the meets that she judges that our girls are in; but it can't be done. All of the team parents have said that she always judges or girls hard and that they hate it when they find out she will be a judge (this is my first year with girls competing, so this side is new to me).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back