MAG Kip on Parallel Bars judging question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Does anyone know if a kip to straight body is an acceptable skill on p-bars? My athletes were starting their routine with this, then lifting their legs to a L sit. I was under the impression that it would count as 2 A skills. However, a judge recently told us that it would be a .3 deduction unless we kipped directly to the L sit.

Does anyone know if a kip to straight body is an acceptable skill on p-bars? My athletes were starting their routine with this, then lifting their legs to a L sit. I was under the impression that it would count as 2 A skills. However, a judge recently told us that it would be a .3 deduction unless we kipped directly to the L sit.
My son is a level 8. Our guys will generally kip and then immediately swing to handstand. The kip won’t be straight body. A kip on PBars isn’t exactly the same as a kip on hibar.

My son's Level 8 routine last year started with a straight body kip and then he went straight into a moy. Looking at the code of points, a kip and a L-hold are two separate A skills, so I'd think they should count as two elements??

The judge is correct.

A kip on p-bars shouldn't finish in a neutral straight body support; it should finish more or less the same way a front uprise should finish; in a roughly-front-swing-ish-position. Kip directly to L is acceptable, but ideally a straight body support shouldn't really exist except as a passing shape between two sides of a swing.

You'd be better off doing the kip directly to L-support (which is moderately difficult to do correctly, but definitely doable with a bit of practice and good tricep strength), and finding somewhere else in the routine to add another A.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back