WAG Coach issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay so we have recently undergone a change in coaching at the gym and we are having issues with our current coach. She is a lovely person don't get me wrong, she is really nice and all but the problem is her inconsistency, mood swings and she is too much friend not enough coach.

Me and my teammates have discussed this to a great extent and we are all on the same page. Here are some observations since she has taken over:
  1. More injuries - whether this coincidence as one is reoccurring, another is over use (this girl was in another squad) and one is a long term thing from a while ago and then mine was a result of a skill. In a squad of 15 6 of us are injured at the moment.
  2. Decline in strength - 1 could be a result of this. Our strength has gone down significantly.
  3. Little skill progression - while lots of us are injured and this makes it difficult to progress but even healthy people aren't progressing and we are going into level 7 which is a big jump and we should be getting new skills now.

Training is inconsistent and depends on her mood and it varies so much from day to day. It is really frustrating.

Furthermore, I find that because I'm injured she just sort of overlooks me and I have basically been coaching myself for the past 4 weeks.

Oh and there is one girl who is infuriating - she says her elbow is injured (which it is) and constantly makes up what she's allowed to do. One day she can't walkover but her physio says she can flic on beam. Makes no sense and it drives me crazy!

Well....now you know a little more about the type of coach you'll want to be. Meanwhile, get by as best you can, work hard and encourage the rest of your squad to do the same. Who knows, maybe while you and your squad are busy, this new coach will figure out what she's there for.

I'm not a gymnastics coach, but I think that iwc has good advice that can transfer to many areas of life. Sometimes, the people 'in charge' are ill-prepared or don't really know what they're doing. Sometimes there's nothing you can do about that in the short-term except lead by example. Go to the gym everyday with a set of your own goals and tasks in mind and do your best to work hard, be encouraging to teammates and quietly 'force' her to coach you how you need to be coached. Maybe having gymnasts that are hungry to learn and are willing to meet her where she is will encourage her to step it up. If she doesn't, then the laws of nature have a way of working that stuff out. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back