WAG Coaches Fees

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have recently become President for my daughters booster club. This year the booster club has taken over coaches fees. My question is does each girl on the whole team split the coaches fees equally no matter what level they are on or does it depend on level and how many meets that level is participating in?

It can depend...if all the levels are going to a big meet, all girls in all the levels split the coaches fees (even girls who choose not to attend)....if a meet is for say Levels 5-7, then only the girls in those levels (all of the 5-7s) split those fees...

Seeing as you are just starting the paying of the fees , I would let the gym know the ground rules...i.e. for flights, it is a coach seat, bought well in advance .....if coach wants aisle, early boarding , first class, last minute change fees etc, the gym pays the delta.....I would get a list of basics to share with them re: travel, meals, hotels, cars etc...

That's what I was figuring but my main problem is that we only have one level 10 and the coaches fees estimated for her states is about $500. I can't possible ask her mother to pay that on top of all the other meets.

That's what I was figuring but my main problem is that we only have one level 10 and the coaches fees estimated for her states is about $500. I can't possible ask her mother to pay that on top of all the other meets.

Why would level 10 coaches fees be 500 bucks? Is she the only upper level optional (levels 8-10),? Most state combine levels for their state meets

Our state combines levels 9-10 and she is the only girl. The $500 is for hotel, mileage reimbursement and session fee. I was thinking of putting all the states fees together and split it between all the girls. Not sure if that is really fair though.

Our state combines levels 9-10 and she is the only girl. The $500 is for hotel, mileage reimbursement and session fee. I was thinking of putting all the states fees together and split it between all the girls. Not sure if that is really fair though.

It seems high for one session of one meet and if that's what it is, I think the only fair thing to do would be to combine all the states fees together and split them among the whole team...it's almost as if you are penalizing the level 10 for making it by slamming her with the high fees

How far away is states from your home gym?

At our gym everyone pays a flat fee that basically adds up all of the fees for the year and splits it evenly between all of the girls. There is a bit of inequity with between the compulsories and the optionals but it all works out in the end.

Theoretically, you could say it benefits the younger girls / lower levels to have higher level girls to "look up" to... To see the higher level girls actually doing the skills, etc. so, you could say it would be fair to add up ALL the state meet fees (compulsory plus Optionals) and divide them equally between all the team kids.

$500 sounds steep for ONE session, even with hotel and mileage. What state are you in that a hotel is even needed for ONE session of a meet? Our coach would make the drive the day of... coach the session... and drive back the same day. And, planned in advance, a hotel room can be gotten cheaper - if the coach insists on overnight accommodations.

That's why we have a 'regional and above' fund as part of our booster club. I don't have large numbers of L9's and L10's, so when we go to East/West and Nationals, it's VERY expensive. Most of those meets are many States away, and we get there several days early, plane tickets, hotels, food, rental cars, etc. If someone here has a better idea, I'm all ears as it is really hard on the families that have paid the most and the kids that have worked the hardest.

That's why we have a 'regional and above' fund as part of our booster club. I don't have large numbers of L9's and L10's, so when we go to East/West and Nationals, it's VERY expensive. Most of those meets are many States away, and we get there several days early, plane tickets, hotels, food, rental cars, etc. If someone here has a better idea, I'm all ears as it is really hard on the families that have paid the most and the kids that have worked the hardest.

Can I ask how this fund is kosher with the NCAA clearinghouse? I was under the impression that all fundraising had to be done for the collective good of the group and could not be designated out to one individual or a group specific individuals?

Can I ask how this fund is kosher with the NCAA clearinghouse? I was under the impression that all fundraising had to be done for the collective good of the group and could not be designated out to one individual or a group specific individuals?
I do not run, nor am I involved in the Booster club, so my knowledge may be lacking a bit in that area. However, I know it is over seen by a local accounting firm so that they adhere strictly to the rules, and a certain percentage of fund raised money (I think 10%) is put into the Regional and Above fund to help with those expenses. Hope that helps. :)

You charge everyone the same, Period. In the end the kids that make it to level 10 get the benefit,,, they earned it, and so will you when you get there...

This is what our current gym does...and to me it's a much more equal and fairer system...In our original gym, when my daughter was a compulsory ,I paid the same as the optionals with the knowledge that when/if she got to be an optional, I would benefit from the system too..

I have been in a gym that charged each level differently down to whether the coach ate a hot dog at the level 5 session ( and it was 3 bucks) or decided to have it with fries at the level 10 session ( and it was 7 bucks) ...my daughter always made it to the post season and i can tell you , in addition to the original $1600 I paid for
meet and coaches fees (for 5 reg meets) , I was charged an additional $2200 for Nationals ("payable before you leave"...gee thanks for the notice) ...and this was a very large gym with a very large team, the coaches always traveled last minute, first class, in large SUVs , stayed one to a hotel room, ate at places like Shula's Steakhouse on our nickel....the fees I paid were more than my mortgage...it was ridiculous and it was very devisive to the team as most of the parents were always scrutinizing the breakdown to see what they were charged and comparing notes ("I saw him eating XX during my session, not what's listed here")

It's kosher with NCAA because all 9s and 10s can benefit from this same fund if they qualify for the meet....just because not all may qualify doesn't mean that the fund could not benefit all who did meet the requirements. It just can't be the "Susie Smith fund" ....

This got me thinking about the IRS rules, not necessarily NCAA. It is true that all fundraising has to benefit the group as a whole, but what if the Regional and National "fund" was part of the membership fee that gets charged every year? Thoughts anyone? Don't mean to get too off topic.

This got me thinking about the IRS rules, not necessarily NCAA. It is true that all fundraising has to benefit the group as a whole, but what if the Regional and National "fund" was part of the membership fee that gets charged every year? Thoughts anyone? Don't mean to get too off topic.

That's actually how it works most of the time....your membership fee can cover things such as team parties, coaches gifts, and funds such as this for regionals and nationals ...it's usually like around 20 bucks a kid goes into such a fund so it doesn't break any one family

For Pea's gym the coaches fee's are split between the girls who attend the meet. We also only pay for whatever meets we go to. I see how this is great for the lower levels, but once you hit regionals etc. parents have to fork out a huge chunk of change!

I get to be parents association president this year too and would love any ideas on how others make it more equitable! We haven't had a girl make nationals in a while but the level 9 regional parents had a hefty bill last year!

At our gym everyone pays a flat fee that basically adds up all of the fees for the year and splits it evenly between all of the girls. There is a bit of inequity with between the compulsories and the optionals but it all works out in the end.

This is how ours is run. Boys/girls pay same fee into one giant pot, as well as all fundraising to cover all coaching expenses regardless of program or level.

At old gym, we had to split per level. And there were several years where DD2 was the only one in her level... that really bites!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back