Coaches Coaching with a tablet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not glued to my hands obviously, and this is for pre competitive kids specifically. I allowed myself to get "Out teched" at work and will be addressing that today! There's a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 inch screen available at Costco now for $350. I don't like Apple, itunes wants to break my sublime PC setup and has already declared my iphone broken. It will randomly decide that my phone is in restore mode, and once itunes decides that, my previously fine iPhone becomes an iBrick. A never ending cycle of restoration ensues, then a bunch of attempts to load the back up (which sometimes sends me back to restore mode AGAIN), it's a cycle of doom and the only exit is pure luck. I know "everyone" has an iPad but personally I'm hopping off the Apple train. My coworkers think I'm nuts though, but it's cool.

So far for apps I've been told Coach's Eye and Ubersense are great. Any others out there you find helpful? I can't wait to have all their gymnastics info in one place, I'm over the paper charts. I've used my phone before to film if something isn't clicking and that helps a ton. It's just not awesome to have all the girls pushing and shoving to see my little cell screen. Plus they know if someone is calling even if my phone is on vibrate and I'm ignoring it and scream it out!

Thanks JBS! I'll look into it. One of our recent gym upgrades was time delayed flat screens everywhere for the competitive equipment, but we work out at the same time as our optional teams. It would be funny to take the remote from the coaches and be like "Excuse me, I need to rewind to our handstand flatback, thanks!" I bet they'd pull a mat out from under me over it, so this is a much better option :)

Evernote looks fantastic too, some days there's so much I want to remember. This is a great option for right after class when it's all still fresh. Especially conditioning reps and numerical things for the kids that I could never remember on my own. I need to get some charts going for the purpose of contests. I have some high value gymnast rewards but want to make them long term goal stuff for girls who are finding things like splits and specific conditioning aspirations hard.

Evernote looks fantastic too, some days there's so much I want to remember. This is a great option for right after class when it's all still fresh. Especially conditioning reps and numerical things for the kids that I could never remember on my own. I need to get some charts going for the purpose of contests. I have some high value gymnast rewards but want to make them long term goal stuff for girls who are finding things like splits and specific conditioning things hard.

It's awesome...we are embracing technology as a club. We are testing Evernote right now to see if it helps all of our coaches get on the same page. We are working on getting all of our coaches on it. We have created one notebook for each compulsory workout group and a notebook for every optional level gymnast. Some of the coaches are already communicating well through it.

It's awesome...we are embracing technology as a club. We are testing Evernote right now to see if it helps all of our coaches get on the same page. We are working on getting all of our coaches on it. We have created one notebook for each compulsory workout group and a notebook for every optional level gymnast. Some of the coaches are already communicating well through it.

That is fantastic to hear! Gotta embrace it imo, too much to be gained. I love that you guys have streamlined the process by having one tablet per group, that makes sense. I'll have to see if the other 2 womens coaches will get on the Evernote train with me! We do communicate a lot but I'm sure having access to the stats of our girls will make the communication more meaningful.

hahahahahahahaha, Lisul. "iBrick". hahahaha. lol. :)

You should see me rage when it "bricks" on facebook, all my apple fanboy friends try to diagnose in chat despite me warning them off over my bad attitude due to it. I send a mass text out "iBricked" to the people who need to know at the gym and they have a field day with it. Samsung Galaxy S4, SAVE ME!

Oooh, I have just invested in coaches eye for my smalls, ( gym rugby and cricket) but cannot for the life of me get it to work - anyone know where I can get an idiots guide please ?

Thanks,
'Margo

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

hah, currently working for samsung.

that s4 will get shown soon next month but personally the note 8.0 would be my choice but no release date either. i like the pen a lot. i may get a note2 if i reactivate sprint and stay in the us

i personally prefer a 7" tablet for coaching as i can put it in my cargo shorts.

time delay with a tablet sounds good

i dont really like samsungs proprietary 30 pin/charging cable and id rather have a seperate mini usb and charging cable ( especially as the charging cable doesnt charge fast enough/powerfully enough when plugged in compared to how much power it consumes when running full power )

remember to sideload flash if you go android

Oooh, I have just invested in coaches eye for my smalls, ( gym rugby and cricket) but cannot for the life of me get it to work - anyone know where I can get an idiots guide please ?

Thanks,
'Margo

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

There is some helpful info on their website...check the blog section...

Coach's Eye Sports Video Analysis App

Are you able to get it to record a video?

that s4 will get shown soon next month but personally the note 8.0 would be my choice but no release date either. i like the pen a lot. i may get a note2 if i reactivate sprint and stay in the us

i personally prefer a 7" tablet for coaching as i can put it in my cargo shorts.

i dont really like samsungs proprietary 30 pin/charging cable and id rather have a seperate mini usb and charging cable ( especially as the charging cable doesnt charge fast enough/powerfully enough when plugged in compared to how much power it consumes when running full power )

i love how i can now learn Portuguese on this site also! :)

You work for Samsung?! Hope you get a sweet discount on the goods! I'm not a fan of proprietary cable trend either, but Apple loves it too so there's no escape between the 2 main competitors. Good call on flash, will do. I won't miss that "derp what you're looking at requires flash" screen on my iphone telling me no that's for sure. I saw the 7inch tablet at Costco as well, they have it in garnet which is a surprisingly nice color for $199 and I almost went that route. I didn't find the 10.1 to be too much huger though, and I know my kids will be all over it with games. I don't do pockets coaching because I do dance with the girls as well, so typically a yoga pants situation.

I've yet to put apps on it because I decided it needed armor after Richard and Ashley saw it and started going to town. It makes a watery noise when you touch the screen and apparently 4yr olds love that junk because Richard poked it like crazy! I'll be doing the apps later, it's all set up with a Samsung account and linked to my email, very fast. I'm happy.

Armoring stories deserve a mention, even if I'm approaching book post length because it was both a funny and weird outing. On my way to Best Buy I saw a kid looking like they were having a tantrum in the back seat of a SUV. I was at a red light and had nothing better to do but watch, but I couldn't figure out was happening what with tinted windows. Light turns green, and I see these bright green and yellow sticks go flying out the passenger window onto the road. Big drum solo on the back of the drivers chair is verboten I guess! Then I got (literally) stalked by a person not in a blue shirt at Best Buy as I was looking at cases. She came walking up like a tiger would in the jungle, it was bizarre. I ignored her. When I couldn't ignore her anymore I found out she was trying to sell me dish or cable service and remembered why I hate going into electronics stores these days. Cases were a bust, but I did get a Zagg invisible shield that is supposedly apocalypse proof. When I saw there was adhesive and crazy steps I gave it to the geek squad to do since I could barely put my cell one on without bubbles. They messed it up 2 times, and at $32 apiece, ouch. Glad I didn't try!

I think I'm going to get a rubbery grippy type case. That way I can set it up at a station at work and if the girls pick it up or drop it it will be fine. Too many thin leather ones, not enough "haha go ahead and drop me!" kinds.

Adobe was a bit of a process to get on an Android since there's no longer native support, but it's easy for anyone who may need it. I went to settings, security, and checked the "allow apps from other than google play" option. Then googled "Archived flash for Android" and went with 11.6, it works for Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 Just click the dl notification and run it and you're good. Then go back and uncheck that security box!

If you're not sure which one to get google your specific device and Android version and there's lots of info on what will work. Adobe and Chrome don't play together though so use a different browser.

Edit: I have coach's eye now, but the time delay app won't work for Android :( Looking for another but everything that comes up is time lapse. Blah.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back