Parents College

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

so what kind of scholarships are there? Academic and sporting have been mentioned. I am guessing music? What else?

Didn't realize when costs are quoted it includes board and lodging, that makes a big difference.

So added question - do most people go away to college or live at home and go locally? (The movies would have you believe everyone goes away to college)
There can be music scholarships (but I would place that under academic since you'd only get a music scholarship if your major is music)
Not all the tuition includes room and board. Usually for state schools, it's broken down since state schools tend to have more commuter students than a private university would.

I'd say for kids who go to a four year college, the majority of them go away to school, but like I said, state schools cater to local kids more than private schools do, so it's also pretty common to live at home and go to a university close by.

so what kind of scholarships are there? Academic and sporting have been mentioned. I am guessing music? What else?

Didn't realize when costs are quoted it includes board and lodging, that makes a big difference.

So added question - do most people go away to college or live at home and go locally? (The movies would have you believe everyone goes away to college)
There are all kinds of scholarships... you name it and there is probably a scholarship for it. You have to apply and may or may not get it.
4-H. Wal-Mart. The company my dad worked for offered a scholarship for the children of workers. Different Unions offer scholarships. There are scholarships for left handers. Scholarships for people who choose a certain major or went to a certain high school or a certain church or were in a particular club. There are even scholarships for being a "non-traditional" student (going back to school or starting at or over the age of 25).
Quoted costs SOMETIMES include room and board. Other times, they don't. It gets confusing.

At the big universities that have dormitories, freshmen that do not have family within x number of miles of campus are often required to reside in the dorms. After the first year, it is more acceptable to get an apartment or a house with friends. If you go to a regional campus of a big university (sometimes called a branch), you are more likely to live at home.

It's important to note too, and I apologize if this was already mentioned, but a scholarship doesn't necessarily mean a full ride. For academic scholarship especially, you can get scholarships for all kinds of things like mentioned above....where I went to school you could apply for some just for living in a certain county. Scholarships can be a full ride, a couple thousand dollars, or even one or two hundred dollars. The spectrum is incredibly wide.

Also important to note that (if it hasn't been already) most students don't pay the full sticker price. Somewhere around 70% of students receive some form of financial in the form of scholarships, grants, work study, and low cost loans. Most are federally funded but private colleges provide their own grants and scholarships as well. Most of the remaining 30% usually are also eligible for student loans, but at higher interest rates.

Whoa...so by comparason Od is in the last year of a 4 year course - B Sports Sci and she is completing a Dip of Outdoor Ed simultaneously -her fees have averaged about $4600/ per semester so about $9200 per year. ( We are from Australia).

Despite really high - ( 37 last semester) contact hours she has paid her own living costs.....And to think we complain about the expense☺

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back