Parents College

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OzZee

Proud Parent
A couple of recent threads have got me interested in learning more about the U.S. college scene.

So is it common there for kids to go to college on a scholarship?
Do a lot of kids who do sport 'aim' to try to get a college scholarship out of their sport?

What sports can you get scholarships for?

And what sort of percentage of kids get some kind of scholarship for college? What sorts are there? Etc.

Lol it's all very foreign to me, we have no college sports and not much in the way of scholarships here. So fascinated, tell me more!

Oh and if you did go to college on a sports scholarship what would happen if you were injured?

You could probably Google the stats but small amount of scholarships available compared to the amount of athletes. To the point where if the money being spent on the athletes sport is hoping the end result will be a sports scholarship you are better off putting that money away.

Sport scholarship is to play the sport, you get injured, scholarship goes away.

In D1, most athletic scholarships are for four years to encourage athletes to continue their education, even if they get injured. The scholarship does not necessarily go away if you get injured DURING college, but the offer can be rescinded if the athlete is injured prior to and cannot compete.

I know people who have gone to college on wrestling and soccer and baseball and football scholarships. The soccer player had her acl replaced her senior year of high school and was still not 100% when it was time to report for summer conditioning, but they didn't take away her scholarship.

In D1, most athletic scholarships are for four years to encourage athletes to continue their education, even if they get injured. The scholarship does not necessarily go away if you get injured DURING college, but the offer can be rescinded if the athlete is injured prior to and cannot compete.

I know people who have gone to college on wrestling and soccer and baseball and football scholarships. The soccer player had her acl replaced her senior year of high school and was still not 100% when it was time to report for summer conditioning, but they didn't take away her scholarship.
Did continue to compete in college?

There are injuries you come back from and those you don't. Don't come back the ride typically goes.

Did continue to compete in college?

There are injuries you come back from and those you don't. Don't come back the ride typically goes.
Yes, she competed in college - and internationally. Acl replacement was chosen because it was a better option than reconstruction (i know because my own sister had acl reconstruction ... then shredded her acl less than a year later and had it replaced and hasn't had a problem since).

It's not common, academic scholarships are much more common. And Deleted member 18037 is right...socking the money away is smarter than expectations of a scholarship.

It is fun to think about though as my dd is only 12., but really since she has decided it's her end goal, and that at this point in her journey it is realistic, it has unfortunately taken some of the fun out of the sport for me.

knowing that there is a definite timeline for accomplishments, and that if it doesn't go her way, she may already feel like a failure, and let people down, before she ever even graduates high-school. I certainly don't want that for her. I do, on-the-other-hand, love she has the confidence of a lofty goal and something big and worthwhile to work towards...

I think of you go to the ncaa website you can get the basics like how many ncaa sports there are. Short answer is a lot. I also remember seeing stats on what percent of high school athletes go on to play in college. I think that was on the ncaa site as well.

In the U.S., college is ridiculously expensive. Most students are not paying sticker price. Most will get a financial aid package and there are academic and private scholarships available. Sports are not the most reliable way to pay for school.

so what % of the population go on to get a degree, and how much does one cost, really. I say this as from what I have seen you courses are structured very differently to ours, although our university education is changing drastically. My eldest has 2 more years then he may be off, but only if he does a course that is "worth" the massive debt it will saddle him with.

As far as cost of college, it varies greatly. Some public universities in the U.S. are below $20K/year (not in my state). Private university tuition is generally much higher. The university I attended is currently $64K/year. It was about $30K when I graduated 20 years ago.

is that just tuition or all expenses. When I went here it was Free plus low income families got a grant for living expenses, mind you then only 5-10% of the population went to Uni. $64K per year is exorbitant, I thought £9k ($14K) was a rip off !

ah, better, but still pricey, here tuition is £9,000 (mandated as a maximum by law) per year, accommodation depends, most students flat share, rents vary depending with the city, catered in halls is around £150/month I think (according to Number 1 son), so £1,200 per year

so what kind of scholarships are there? Academic and sporting have been mentioned. I am guessing music? What else?

Didn't realize when costs are quoted it includes board and lodging, that makes a big difference.

So added question - do most people go away to college or live at home and go locally? (The movies would have you believe everyone goes away to college)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back