WAG competing with a cast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Several issues. But let's pretend it's not a safety issue, and i'll play devils advocate with myself.
It's one thing to suit up and play in the Super Bowl with a broken bone, and quite another to do the same in the first game of the season. In other words the risk outweighs the reward. I could totally see a child wanting to compete if they earned the right to finally get to nationals and then got injured right before the meet (Even though I wouldn't let them). But I understand the desire ,,,finally making that huge accomplishment and wanting to go out and at least compete what you can. I get that, the seasons over and you want to take a risk. That being said, I can't imagine the looks and complaints the coach would get because of bringing an unhealthy child to a national meet and taking up a spot of a potential healthy alternate who could step in and compete for her region. That is ethically wrong. I know our regional board absolutely frowns upon sending a kid who is not capable of competing all four events at a national level. And I agree with this and I would never do it.
As for the obvious safety issues and the difference between working out in the gym and competing with the cast on?
The Safety issue for me isn't just doing something on one arm, which could go bad if you haven't been training that for years. But injuring the limb with the cast on it above or below the cast does happen. When you're in the gym you are in a controlled environment, (low beam, tumbling in the pit or up onto soft mats). When you are at a meet you are not and we all know the introduction of nerves in a meet environment makes it even more unpredictable.
And finally and probably the least most important reason (since kids come first), Is this "Hey did you hear about that girl who was competing with a cast on and fell off and broke her arm right up of the cast, man that coach is an idiot"....
"yea I hear the National board is investigating him/her for this",,
USA GYMNASTICS quote "Fail to follow the safety guidelines established by USA Gymnastics, or otherwise knowingly subject a participant to unreasonable physical or emotional risk."

I know I know, the sky is falling, but....
No thanks! I will just wait a month.... :).

you might be right, but quite a few years ago there was this girl from Cali that competed with 1 arm. after that, i reasoned what the heck.

That's Casey Lesieur, and she's from New York, currently attending Syracuse. She broke her wrist years ago and now has a dead scaphoid due to poor blood flow to that area. So in other words, a permanently broken wrist. However, she's an incredible athlete and does gymnastics, cheerleading, and tricking, and has huge talent in all three. She just recently got a job as a real life Power Ranger. I know her personally through a friend and have been to a tricking gathering with her. She put a lot of the guys to shame. A true inspiration.

When I was a level 9 I competed my state meet beam and floor with a cast and won beam. One of the judges said it was against the rules specifically but nothing was found in the book and I was allowed to petition to regionals. A lot of people may say it sounds foolish but I was careful with training as I'm sure these others were as well.

We had a L9 gymnast compete beam and floor the first meet this year in a cast. She won floor with a 9.45. Although I completely understand the concerns that are being voiced, I think it depends on the specific circumstances. That's why I say leave it to the coaches to decide - they should know the gymnasts better than anyone. Our gymnast had been practicing these routines at a very high level for weeks, was a lights out meet performer, and is naturally skilled enough that she can literally beat the competition with her arms tied behind her back. I don't think it's smart idea for every gymnast, but it also may not be fair to say no across the board.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back