Parents Competition leos... how to know if it's too small!?!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is my daughter's first year in competition, so I don't really know what to think at this point. All along our coaches have been saying that the leos will be "very tight" and need to be stretched out. But we finally got them on Saturday (first meet is this Saturday) and when I tried it on my daughter at home we could barely get it on her! When they told me the size they would be ordering her (based on their measurements) I was worried that it would be too small, but they assured me it wouldn't be. When I tried to get it on her, her little body could barely move. She just kept saying "stop! it doesn't fit me!"

I'm afraid that she won't be comfortable enough to compete, will rip it out, or will need a new one very soon - and we can't afford another $200 leo.

So based on what her coach has told us all along, they are supposed to be "very tight"? So how tight is too tight? Anyone else with this problem? I just don't know how it's supposed to fit her. :confused:

Eeek....you want them to be snug, but not so tight they can't breathe. Can you stretch it at all? I do that with my DD pants since she has long legs and a tiny waist. For those, I stretch when wet and lay flat to dry. That may work, or have her just put the "body" part on over another Leo and wear it around for a while just to stretch it a bit. The long sleeves are hard to get into, but she does need to be able to move. Good luck!

I have never had this experience with comp leos. I mean, I think they're supposed to fit pretty "sleek" but I've always ordered pretty much the same size comp leo for DD as I would any other leo. And certainly trying on your very first comp leo should be a exciting experience and not a torturous one! And you don't want to be watching her routines and thinking about how much cheek she's showing (and you don't want her to be worrying about that either). I would definitely talk to the coaches... maybe bring it in to the gym and have DD try it on in for them. So sorry! What a nightmare, especially considering how little time you have till the 1st meet! Hopefully either the HC's ordered a few extras (ours always does) or someone else has one that is too big or something! Good luck, and let us know what the coach says!

Sounds like it is definitely too tight. Sometimes kids grow more than expected from measurement time to comp time. Have did try it on for hc. I wouldnt do anything until you show the coach, but sometimes you can stretch it enough for it to fit ok. But Unfortunately, it may mean another Leo expense. But hopefully you can sell hers to a new team member next season.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

That does sound too tight. If she wears it at home for an hour or something, are there red marks around her legs or anywhere? I mean is it really digging in? And after one hour would she get used to it or would it continue to bother her? My daughter's was also shockingly tight, but she can move. Good luck.

It does sound tight. However, I do know that the first time my dd tried on her competition leo, she said it didn't fit. She said the sleeves were way too tight (long sleeve leo) and it was definitely tighter than some of her workout leos. She ended up wearing it for two years after that (and it still basically fits, although it is getting tighter around the legs. We just got new leos this year). She never complained that it was too tight after that. I made her put it on a couple more times before her competition, just to get used to the feel of a tighter, long-sleeved leo. Even though it was tight, I was able to pull up with some stretch at the shoulders and pull the elastic at her legs away from her body with a little give. It just went immediately back to tight after I let go.

If there is no give at all, it is probably too small. I would definitely have her try it on at gym and have the coach look at it to make sure. Good luck!!:)

Sounds way too small to me. If you can't get it on her and she can't move, that's a problem!
Also, for $200 you deserve something that is the correct size. I would take it and show the coach. They do have some room, I think, for returns. I would push for that.

In the meantime if she has a meet on Saturday, perhaps there is a girl on a different level who has the next size up and your daughter can borrow her leo. She needs to be comfortable at the meet!

Good luck!

In the meantime if she has a meet on Saturday, perhaps there is a girl on a different level who has the next size up and your daughter can borrow her leo. She needs to be comfortable at the meet!

Good luck!
Great idea!

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

We generally have our gymnasts wear one size smaller than they would usually train in so they are sleek. We don't want any baggy bottoms! However we wouldn't want them to dig in anywhere! Sometimes they might leave marks where the seam is on though because long sleeves to tend to be tight, but really we want the gymnasts to be comfortable.
It does seem strange that your DD's club would order them so small - especially for little ones who are likely to grow!
Definitely take it in to show the coach and see what they say, it might just need wearing a couple of times!

My dd's leo was pretty tight this year (2nd year of use) and we would put baby powder on her arms and torso before putting it on in order to help it slide on a little better. She would complain for about 20 min and then it would be fine. It never bothered her while competing - but there were a lot of complaints right after putting it on.

Before you do anything else, have her wear ay home for a couple of hours, do some cartwheels. They really do stretch and accommodate the body. The first time my daughter tried hers on, it was a similar experience. She really thought it was going to rip just from putting it on!

if that doesn't do anything, have her try it on for the coach or gym manager (whoever does the fittings for your gym).

Talk to the person responsible for ordering the leos and bring it in and have your daughter try it on for her to see what she thinks...I used to do the ordering in our old gym and I always ordered an extra of each size to allow for new team members , or situations where the fit just wasn't right. Don't DO anything to it ...like stretching it or putting powder all over it until you have it seen by this person bc I (as orderer of the leos) wouldn't exchange a leo for one that looked used right off the bat. You can't really exchange leos unless it's a stock order ...if it's a custom leo, no way will the company exchange it.

Our coaches like them very tight and super sleek. I put water bottles in the sleeves to stretch them enough to get her arms in them and I put a small pillow from our couch in the body to stretch it out. It worked like a charm while still keeping the slim look. I can say it stretches a bit as they were it but my daughter hates the tight feel of the sleek leo.

We like our leos tight for our team. When they arrive we hzve all the girls put them on, the newer ones swear up and down they are too small, cant move, cant breathe. (the olders know the drill and dont complain, like them tight and know how sloppy they look when too big and wrinkly)
We have them wear them for almost a full practice (no bars) and after 30min to an hour they are stretched and feel fine.
In the rare occasion its needed I have a larger child put the leo on for a few minutes to stretch it. It works.

We are in our second year with a "very tight" leo. My DD tried to convince me to buy a new one (hmmm almost double what OP's cost) and I said no. I had her try on the next size and it was so baggy to the point of being ridiculous! So she is wearing her very snug leotard, sprayed down to keep from riding up and I'm praying she doesn't grow much in the next 3-4 months!

There shouldn't be saggy bottoms, loose sleeves or loose shoulders but it shouldn't be as tight as you hur have described. If my DD's were that tight I would be getting a new one the next size up. In the future when they want to get that leo too small and that little voice inside your head is saying that is too small listen to that little voice and TELL them Sorry but I know she needs a size whatever and if a small er size is ordered I'm not paying for it. They will give you a little grief but in the end its YOUR money not theirs. Been there and they told me if its too big you will have to buy a smaller size I told them no problem. As I knew what size would fit best on my child. I would tell the gym it's just too small save the tags etc and see if they can exchange it. I know these things are custom but it can't hurt to ask.

I know they should be tight, but sometimes they are too tight. My dd's last comp leo was so tight that she had indentation marks for hours after a meet and she could barely get it over her shoulders. When it came time to order a new leo (that was supposed to last 2 years) they wanted to order her the exact same size. I said no way and had a long talk with the owner and re-measured dd and everything. In the end we ordered a specialty larger size and this will be her second year competing in it. I am really hoping she doesn't hit her puberty growth spurt in the next few months because that thing is super tight again. I would take it in and show the coaches and see what they think.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back