Parents Confussed???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

COGYMMOMMY

Some of the other parents and I are a bit confused on what is going on at our childs practice in the gym. First of all we have 15 level 4's, 5 of whom where level 4 last year and will repeat. The rest of the kids are new. Well latley we have noticed that they have split up the kids in two groups, the old level 4's and 1 of the new level 4's in one group and then all the other new level 4's in the other. I'm guessing the reson they did this was skill wise. However the one new level 4 in that group does not even have her splits down, and cries at every practice! While they have been learing the routines for the past month and a half our girls have not even learned a full routine. This would not be a problem if they were not competing the first meet but they are. So here we are with 9 girls that have to go to a meet in less than a month and none of them know a full routine! All the parents are a bit upset about this, seems like they are going out there with an unfair advantage. Plus all are annoyed because the new level four in with the more advanced group, well her mom and the coach are very buddy, buddy so seems like somthing is just wrong all around. This does not bother me much since I really think that this has no bearing on my child, but still it's the talk of the viewing area! How long do they start teaching a routine in advanced, if our girls are the less advanced should they not be given more time to learn the routine? Also how do we approach the coach and voice our concerns without her thinking we are just being over pressuring parents? I'm rather tired of hearing it twice a week from everyone and think that if we just get it cleared up everyone will be happy!

I don't think it is completely out of the ordinary to not know the full routine yet. Our gym teaches it in small segments until the gymnast has the details pretty good then they add a little more. On floor ours did not even do the routine to the music until about 2 weeks before the first meet. I was about in a panic, but was amazed at how quickly they were in time with the music.

I would try not to dwell on the new L4 being grouped w/ the repeat L4's. There could be a number of reasons. My DD has been selected to work in a small group of higher level girl every once in a while (normally all the girls practice w/ just their level but sometimes for various reasons she needs to mix up levels) not because she is better than the other girls her level (many of them are better than her) but because if HC puts her with the older / upper level girls she really kicks it up a notch. Works harder, stays more focused and less goofing around. It may have nothing at all to do with the HC and her mom being friends, or that could be the only reason. But I know of some of the parents saw my DD working w/ the older girls the would wonder ' what in the world is HC thinking'

As long as your DD seems to be learning the portion of the routine they are currently showing her I would not stress. You will be amazed how quickly it comes together in the end.

As for the other, not much to do about it. It is HC decision regardless of the reason. You may want to sit further from the 'drama mama's' :D

My personal advice is to stay out of the viewing area, that is where 90% of the drama in gyms is created and you will find gym is way more fun without the stress of it. At L4 your DD can be in the gym without you watching and you will enjoy her meets more if you only see the last 10 minutes of every practice.

As for your DD just ask the coach if she thinks your DD will be ready to compete at the first meet, that's all you need to know.

Try not to get embroiled in whether your coach has favourites, they all do and there is nothing you can do about it, comparing anyones kid to here will drive you bonkers and change nothing.

I have to agree with Bog. As a coach I have done the exact same thing as your gym as far as putting the easily upset little girl with the "advanced" group. My reason was so that she didn't hold back the other girls trying to learn and so that she could gain confidence working out with the more experienced girls. We usually have reasons for things.

I have agree with the other posters that learing the routines in small chunks is not that out of the ordinary. You'll be surprised when they put it all together how easily it comes to the girls.

As far as the other stuff, I would just stay out of it. There could be a million different reasons why that other chidl is working with the more "advanced" group.

I am so glad that our gym doesn't have a viewing area. We have enough drama without one. :) I can't even imagine what it would be like if we did:eek:

Another one chiming in to say - don't stay to watch!

Our gym's policy is that all practices are closed (ie - no viewing allowed) except the last of the month. It's a nice way to see what they've accomplished.

And as for the drama - just walk away. It will be there whether you're there to witness it or not, but your life will be much less stressful if you don't get involved!

Maybe the new level 4 in with the repeaters needs some special attention in one area that only that coach can provide, or needs more attention overall and that's why she's there.

Maybe the mom seems buddy-buddy with the coach because the girl has some special need and they've talked so much about it.

I think it's probably something it's best to stay out of. It might embarass the girl for you to know why she's not with her group.

We have had this happen before. There are may factors that come into play for the groups. If it were me. I would just try to see about scheduling privates to give your dd the extra help you feel she might need. Of course that may not work for everyone who is in your same boat but doing an hour once a week over the next month to help her iron out her routine may be well worth it. We always learn our routines in sections that typically are not in the correct order. In addition we work the "skills" more than the routines at this point right now. I believe DD has done her full floor routine 3-4 times so far and it is no where close to ready.

I would also recommend possbily recording the routine and having her work on it at home leg by leg to help give her the extra practice. The more they do it the more the remember. DD has been known to sit and watch the DVD by USAG to help with routines.

Good luck!

Just a quick thanks to everyone for all you're input. We went ahead and put DD into privates twice a week and she seems to be doing great! She even knows her routines better than I thought she had. She must have been working on them piece by piece and then just put it all togeather!

Pickle is a first year L5 and she just did her floor routine to music for the first time last week. The first meet is the beginning of October.

Gyms have different philosophies, but I know her coach wants the girls to have the muscle memory for every skill down before they start putting them together with the timing for music. Pickle had trained the pieces so much that it only took two times with music before she had all the timing down. Then she hummed that annoying song all weekend long while doing the dance in the family room.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back