Could I make it to Elite?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just wondering, an please give me an honest response. I am 13 years olds, level 8 and live in Canada. Do you think that I could ever make it to the elite level? I struggle with twisting (just learning a full). I vault a piked Tsuk. I am learning double back flyaways on bars, and I cab do backhandsprings an back tucks on the beam. Floor is a struggle, I attempt fulls, a front tuck to layout half pass and a front layout. I am trying to move up to national novice in the spring. So my question remains, is it possible for me to go elite?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont want to sound corny, but if you believe you can of course you can! As of the twisting, just work on it! I dont know any drills but if i did i would share. Just put your heart into it and be confident.

In Canada you could possibly. Speak to your coaches soon andf tell them what you want to do, only they will know if you have the ability and if they can coach you towards that goal. Moving up to National Novice is the way to go, but you do need those floor skills.

In Canada, at age 13, you would be National Open - cutoff for Novice is 1999 for this year - I know this cause my dd is going National Open and she is 13 (too old for Novice in the National stream, either she is Open or Junior).

Good Luck!

I have a similar situation, I'm level eight. I struggle with bars, so-so on vault and strong on beam and floor. On bars, my dismount is a full twisting front layout. On vault, I do tsuk styles. On beam, I do a BHS's, FHS's, working on front tuck, back tuck, dismount, double twisting front layout. On floor, I am very powerful as well as a good twister. Would I make it elite?

these kinds of questions can not be adequately answered.:)

The question is not just how old you are and what level you are. Does your coach have a track record of producing elites? Your ability to get to elite can depend as much on your coach as it does on you. Are you preferred to dedicate your life to this? As an elite you should expect to train 6-7 hours a day 6 days a week, which will no doubt mean homeschool and no life outside the gym.

Are you a highly self motivated and determined gymnast. As an elite you will be expected to be very self directed, you won't have all your team mates in the gym with you but may have to work 1 on 1 much of the time. Are you fearful of new skills or ready to try anything?

Do you have a level of strength, speed and stamina that is far superior to the rest of your teammates? Do you work better under pressure and tend to shine when the heat is on?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back