WAG Cutting competition leotards to make into workout leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RisingGymnast

Coach
Gymnast
I have two competition leotards (one worn 3 times, the other only worn once), that I'm not sure I want to sell. I think I'd like to make them (or at least one of them, the other is really too pretty to touch) into a workout leo (just a tank leo instead of long sleeves).

Has anyone done this before? Did you take it to a seamstress or did you do it yourself?

Thanks!

A teammate cut hers and there are little flyaway strings everywhere. My aunt did mine, so I don't know how much money a seamstress charges.

I want to find your seamstresses! $10?!! I'm pretty sure the ones around here would charge $25-$30, based on what they charge for other stuff. I don't know if that's worth it. I can get a brand new leo for that price.

I think dd would die if I ever did that! She always comments about how hot her competition leos are to wear. And it's not the sleeves...

I think dd would die if I ever did that! She always comments about how hot her competition leos are to wear. And it's not the sleeves...

Why is that? Our competition leos are no heavier/thicker than a tank leo - they just have long sleeves.

I find that my competition leos are more comfortable than some of the tank leos I have.

@Quadqueen as much as I agree with you on being able to buy another leo for the price it will probably be to take off the sleeves (I haven't done my research on seamstresses around here yet), I would like to do something with a leo that was $100. I could sell it, sure, but it does hold some sentimental value. I won't let it just sit in my closet either.

Why is that? Our competition leos are no heavier/thicker than a tank leo - they just have long sleeves.
all three of dds long sleeve leos have been heavier material than workout ones. probably because of the liners, added colors from designs, etc

@rising_gymnast I totally agree on the competition leotards being more comfortable than my workout leotards. To the OP when I broke my arm in was January 2009 and It was snowing so I was in a long sleeve training leotard. Due to swelling I had to have the left sleeve of my leotard cut from the wrist to the shoulder seam. Because it was one of my faves at the time it killed me to see it cut up, so my mum sent it to a seamstress to have both sleeves removed so I could wear it on my return to training after surgery. It cost £20.

What a great idea! never thought to do this with DDs leos, they just take up space in the closet because I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

DD's gym gets new comp leos every year. This year, at the practice after states, one of the girls showed up with the sleeves cut off of her comp leo. I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea, but I'm going to wait till AFTER we have a new comp leo in hand!!!

So funny, because my wife just did that to one of dd's leotards. Any type of saving is great! Oklahoma in the summer is really miserable, plus the a/c in the gym doesn't work! Shorts sleeves!!!

"Strive for perfection, achieve excellence".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back