Parents Daughter having trouble twisting out of nowhere

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom82773

Proud Parent
My 10 year old daughter is training level 9 , she has been doing fulls on the floor since last season and also has her 1 1/2 and double full recently .
All of the sudden , she can only do a 1 1/2 and gets confused in the air for a full and double full .

She is so frustrated about it and has lots of tears , I don't know how to help her . Her coach is being patient with her as her first meet isn't until December . Any suggestions from parents , coaches , or gymnasts would be great !!

Thanks !!

it's vestibular. and she may have learned them too fast and too close together and is causing a 'transfer' problem. i'm sure the coach knows that he/she must back up, deconstruct and then move slowly forward again.

assure your daughter that i said that everything will be okay. listen to the coach and have her understand that backing up just a bit is normal and it is not "flunking" a grade as they so tend to think. :)

Plenty of time until December! Reassure your daughter that you are sure she and her coach will get it worked out and that she has lots of time. Last season (L8) my dd suddenly was unable to NOT twist. One day out of the blue, in the middle of competition season she could not do a layout- whenever she tried she ended up doing a full. Her coach had to change her routine to accommodate and then after competition season ended her coach took her back to basics and worked her way back. It only took a few weeks and it was a non-issue.

This is VERY common, especially in this age range. She will eventually get through it and be more solid for it.

I've had a few kids go through this too.....

It has nothing to do with level......

It goes away over time, and won't go away any faster than that.....

It's a growing issue even when if doesn't look like she's grown. It could be just one little part that grows, but it may be a key part.

It provides time to work on other skills because you can work this problem to death, and it still won't go away because it takes time for her body to readjust.

More 7x14 trampoline work...not tumble track.

Kids that spot the halves always have issues. Keep the head on the layout...then pull the half with the head back towards where she came from. For the full...spot the full...head back towards where she came from. For the 1.5...spot the full and keep the head there and the last half turns...the head is the last thing around. For the double...spot the double. Always spot where you came from.

My guess is that she is doing her 1.5 like a double full...she needs to do it like a full + a half.

Thanks so much for all the advice !! I've been having her read the replies and she feels better already !!

She is confused about which way she twist , left or right . My older daughter whose a gymnast told her she should twist the same direction she does a full turn on the beam which would be left but I think she goes both ways ! Is it possible to be able to twist both ways ? She tends to over think things which could be confusing her too .

whoa! twisting has nothing to do with which way you turn on beam. and you should twist the same direction whether you somi forward or backward.

yes, you could conceivably twist both ways. but you don't. tell her to stop thinking, then, and listen to her coach (not her sister on this one). :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back