Parents DD only one not allowed to do certain skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am absolutely loving this thread and it is teaching me a great deal and to also look at things from a different perspective. Sometimes it does seems as our gymmies are stuck on drills and not doing the "cool" skills the others in the group are doing, I have a gymmie is usually one of the last to get a skill and gets stuck in the drills stage for ages, but I can see the benefit of it and is shows that the coach does care a lot about form and not just chucking skills, but sometimes the coach does seem to get it wrong and allow girls to move past a drill or basic skill they cannot do, but they may have a good reason to do so as frustrating it is to the gymmies who do every single drill / skill correctly before moving on the next. My daughter will not move on from a drill or skill until being told to .. Take for example beam ... They have to do so many forwards rolls, so many cartwheels and stick them before moving on to the cool drills for back walkovers, my daughter says she never cheats, from what I have seen from time to time it seemed to be true, she says others lie about landing the basic skills before moving on, same for floor and the old round off back handspring work .. You had to demonstrate you could do a decent round off jump back into a dish shape before getting spotted though round off stop back handsprings and eventually getting spotted though the who move.. Sometimes the coach will let a few sloppy round off jump backs through the net and allow the girl to do spotted back handsprings while my daughter always has to demonstrate the correct way, it can be frustrating but on the other hand it gives my daughter more practice at getting the shaping correct.

it gives my daughter more practice at getting the shaping correct.

Absolutely. Encourage your daughter that not cheating and getting those shapes as perfect as possible will put her ahead on mastering the big skills. Cheating and trying to rush ahead will not result in better gymnastics.

Tons of rec kids have ROBHS. They learned the quicker and easier way, bypassing the zillion perfect dish shape drills and such. And the results speak for themselves - having a skill looks very different than mastering a skill. Precision is a whole other process. Tell your DD to keep up the good work!

Waaaayyyy back in the day, my DD and a classmate both did gymnastics. The other girl started a couple of years earlier than my DD, though they both "graduated" and moved from tot classes to true rec classes at the same time. The other girl progressed in rec much more quickly than my DD... learning her BHS, FHS, etc much more quickly than my DD (in fact, my DD never did them in rec). It was a frequent source of irritation, and both the girl and the girls' mom weren't quiet about that at all, but my DD kept working and having fun in her classes anyway.

Eventually, it was my DD invited to the invite-only strength classes. It was also my DD who eventually did pre-team as a result. Though for years, my DD continued to work drills and shapes, and it got to a point that it still somewhat felt like this other kid was far better than mine, as she was doing much more advanced skills while in rec (though she did move on to Xcel at some point). Anyway, my long winded point? Now there's no comparison. My DD now has more advanced skills, and much better form. I don't mean that in a braggy way, the other kid is a good kid and successful, just wanted to point out that it felt like that might never happen, but it did. :)

I'm glad I trusted the path and her coaches.

Xxstumpyxx - your daughter will benefit in the long run with what seems like never ending BHS shape drills. Took mine 3 years to correct the muscle memory from learning poor form at former gym on BHS in what is now level 3.
As I stated earlier it takes way long to fix the mistake than learn it correctly the first time, even when it feels like watching paint dry. The "cool" skills feed off the basic ones. Bad basics equal bad "cool" skills, sometimes bad basics causes an inability to do the "cool" ones too.

My daughter is now doing back handsprings on her own on the trampoline at gym under watch of her coach (they hand to do them with their hands in a gymnova block and drag their hands along it while jumping back, my daughter said they did it like that to make sure they jump back correctly, she even tried a round off backhand spring unspotted on the trampoline with a long mat after her coach said she could, that didn't go all that great but a fantastic first attempt considering she has only every done them with a spot occasionally - she did her round off, slight pause then a back handspring, she got over but nearly landed on here head as arms arms bent as her hands went in the join between two mats, still at least she got to try and that would have gave her a bit of confidence when they work on them again. I am in no hurry for her to get it, all I ever wanted to see is my daughter do a back handspring alone, now she can do that then anything else is a bonus

My daughter is one who is almost last in her group to get skills and is often doing a straight jump off the board while others are doing an actual front handspring vault over the table. Sometimes she gets upset about this and I try my hardest to remind her that everyone is different and she needs to just concentrate on her own progression! She is 7 and the move up to level 3 is a bit iffy but today her coach said she is to a fingertip spot on the backhandspring, front hip, and Wendy. I would rather her have these skills with good form than for her to just chuck them.

It's not about "cheaters" and who goes first or last.

The kids who chuck skills eventually need to work on form. The kids who are cautious and work on form need to get skills.

They all get where the need to be when they can. I have a kid who will never the first to get any thing and is usually close to last. One of her best friends is a chucker, the girl is fearless. My kid is behind her on skills compared to her friend. Friends form needs a ton of work. They both have their own path.

Really the best thing you can do is focus on the one kid your responsible for.

And coaches tend to work with kids and should be giving them what they need, a And they all don't need the same thing. Fair is not equal it's giving them what they need.

If I heard this story from my daughter, I would be almost 100% certain that what had really happened was that the girls had been required to do a straight jump into the pit that met some requirements for form, amplitude, etc. before working on front tucks, and my daughter had failed to meet those requirements. Pretty much every time she comes home from practice complaining that "it's not fair" or "Coach thinks I am no good," it turns out that some variation of this scenario has occurred. If my kid did a front tuck after being told not to, she'd be severely reprimanded or worse for not following directions and engaging in unsafe behavior (the entire team was warned that misbehavior in and around the pit is grounds for being kicked off the team). If you are worried, you might surreptitiously observe a practice or two to see what is really going on.

^^^ agree 100% with the above. If anything I would be telling your daughter that she needs to listen to the coach and not do skills they are telling her not to do. Don't worry, she will get there.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back