Deductions in cast handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bswagger

What are all the deductions a judge can take on a straddle-up cast handstand if made all the way up to vertical?

Not sure but guessing - bent arms, bent legs, flexed feet, chest out in cast, chest out in handstand shape at top.

Not sure but guessing - bent arms, bent legs, flexed feet, chest out in cast, chest out in handstand shape at top.

Arched back, lack of vertical...I'm not a judge, but these are things I've heard people talk about.:rolleyes:

I would also like to know this. Also what kind of straddle is considered acceptable? Do you have to completely rotate your hips? Some of the girls at our gym just do small leg separation until they hit vertical then they bring there legs together. Could this be given a leg separation deduction?

Cast is the key

As far as I'm aware, the CAST is the key. Make sure in casting to handstand through straddle that you are actually casting to handstand, not pressing to handstand. I.e. straight arms and legs, hollow chest legs straddle but hips open at all times, Then of course usual deduction for toes, knees, handstand shape and dynamics. i've even heard it suggested that if there's not enough cast, then the skill itself may not be counted and points deducted from the start value for non-completion of the skill.

I am interested in what you say about hips open at all times. Most of the straddle casts you see go from front support to straddle handstand with hips definitely closed. Then join legs to handstand. Kind of a definite 3 step jerk. Unless you have absolute perfect middle split - then the hips will be closed with this 'step' method. We have one girl who does this and it is pretty.

I have also seen straddle casts which are just a normal cast with the legs separated slightly (no bend at hips) Although the hip angle is open the chest is often out and they usually look ugly to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back