WAG Determining which meets to attend

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'd vote Chicago Style, WOGA and Gasparilla, in that order--mostly because I have never heard of Gasparilla Classic, so I put that last LOL! I know Chicago Style and WOGA and good competition and I believe both get college coaches attention, if you are interested in that.

How/when do you book airfare? This will be our first year dealing with out of state meets. Without knowing the session schedule (or at least a generality of when her level might be), I'd be stuck booking Thursday/Monday flights, which seems excessive for what's really only going to 3 hours of gymnastics.

Our coach suggests to us when we should fly there and come back. She always requests certain days to compete--and usually the meet host is able to accommodate. Usually we are there at least an extra day though.

And with the WOGA meet my expectations were high....for a well run meet, competition etc. We competed in the Dr. Pepper Arena and there were only 3 teams in our session, the entry fees for spectators were high and it was expensive to get to so it's not something that I would attend again...

Agree with Bookworm on WOGA; our gym hasn't been back there in years. Chicago Style didn't fit our schedule this year either (plus Chicago in Feb didn't appeal much after freezing last year); all of our meets are out west and most are Nastia Qualifiers. As for booking travel, it does get a little easier at the higher optional levels since it s more predictable. The 9's and 10's at a meet typically are always on Sat so we do a late Friday out and a late Sunday return and then fill the time around her session with "stuff" in the local area since we treat each trip as a mini vacation. We have been to several places because of gymnastics that we would never have gone to otherwise (Bartlesville, OK, for instance - nice place by the way). I will book our airfare about a month or so out from the meet as that seems to be a sweet spot for fares starting to creep up for a particular city.

Have three meets that require flying.we are doing only one fly away meet unless she makes the state team at judge's cup. At this point at 11 I can't really see spending the time and money . We will probably go to all of them when she gets closer to college. Another factor for us is that our meets tend to be back to back to back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back