Parents Do you keep your child home when she is in pain?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have kept my daughter for a week and a half because her knee hurts when she is even just walking. She has an orthopedist appt. on Wednesday, and I'm waiting to see what he says before she goes back. I let the gym know, and they haven't questioned me. I just have this worry that they think she is not dedicated, or that she should be there for some conditioning. What do you do when your daughter has is in pain and has yet to be diagnosed?

Last edited:
you go to practice. make them aware of what's going on. they modify the work outs and increase her conditioning. you go to the doctor. you go back to the coaches with what the doctor says. they do what the doctor says. the problem goes away. your daughter returns to normal activity. alls well that ends well.

i mean this sincerely...if you keep her home for a week and a 1/2 every time she experiences a body problem...well, she'll be home quite a bit if she continues in gymnastics.:)

IT depends! If they can move and do things yes I do! I just talk to the coach and such and they modify and she conditions!
If they are soo bad (Like when oldest dd had the headaches from the neck , I kept her home but was in constant talk with the coaches so they knew , and most of that time she started out being there but sat and did nothing, so I ended up bringing her home. She wanted to be there but was soo hard since she really felt like crud!

I personally would and have done what dunno advises. How does your daughter feel about it? I know my daughter would be upset about staying home. If you let the coaches know there are other things that she could do there that probally do.

Depends on the gym and what they do when your kid is hurt. Some smart coaches, like Dunno ;), will modify the workout and make sure your kid is not in pain. Other coaches, not like Dunno ;), don't give a crap if your kids knee hurts and nag them the whole time.

Hopefully you know what kind of coach you have and can make a more informed choice than us.

At our gym the kids are expected to go all the time--injured or not--they modify the workouts and have the gymnasts do what they can do. But, as Bog said, if you know the coach is going to ignore the fact the girl is injured, then maybe not sending her sometimes is the best option.

Both posts (dunno & cathiann) are spot on. It would depend on how your gym and the coaches treat her due to the pain issue. Usually a coach knows when it is real and when they are just wanting to skip a rotation that they do not like to do...but it sounds like this is definitely an issue for a doctor to determine. Our girls go, with broken, sprained, etc. issues and the gym accommodates them with the conditioning that they are capable of doing without harm...if they don't go at all, they will lose all they have accomplished to date.

I pretty much agree with everyone. You can't stay home for every little ache and pain. However, you need to be able to fully trust your coach and your child. Trust the coach will modify and trust your child will not push herself and injure herself more.

Our girls come in as soon as they can, depending on the injury. We have girls standing in handstands against the wall and doing giants on strap bar in leg casts. in fact from what I hear giants in a cast are awesome - something about the weight and speed LOL

DD's gym is the same as others here. They still want the girls to do stretching and conditioning (within reason) and then modify the workout based on the injury. There have girls who have come in and just done the stretches and conditioning only. I hope your daughter is OK!

We do what has been stated above. Just making her coaches aware and they work with her on what she can do.

Of course Midget will sometimes play things up for us as parents that she blows off when talking to the doc or the coach. As her ortho stated while working on her very obviously swollen ankle, "Gymnasts are the worst, injuries that would have most athletes writhing in pain they shrug off as 'it hurts a little'."

Thank you for your input. I spoke to the coach, and she said the same thing. Went to the orthopedist today, and he said the same thing. It's unanimous!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back