Parents Do your coaches use cell phones during meets and practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't even know if our coaches have cell phones I've never seen one :p

On the flip side, raise your hand if you have ever sent a text to your child's coach during a meet.... :).
That's against our team rules! We aren't allowed to motion to, talk to or wave to the coaches or our kids. Although, there's apparently still one mom who thinks she's above all that since we have received a couple of emails to remind us not to text or talk to the coaches or gymnasts during meets and especially do not go onto the competition floor. That was a doozy!! Who does that???

And no way would I be happy about our coaches staying on the phone at a meet. Our coaches are very attentive to the girls whether at a meet or at practice and I just can't imagine a time they might need to use it? We all video our own kids at meets, so no reason for that. But it very well may be parents texting them. Some people just think rules don't apply to them. I would ask them about it if you feel it's a safety issue, but I'm sure it's against the rules!

On the flip side, raise your hand if you have ever sent a text to your child's coach during a meet.... :).

The only time I have seen a coach texted during a meet was when our team girls' scores were getting mixed up with another group in their rotation. One of our moms texted the HC to let her know it was happening so she could alert the judges. At this past meet, I could see my kid's heel was hurting her badly and yes, I briefly thought about texting the HC but I didn't. I trusted that her coaches would take care of her (they did).

The use of cell phones or tablets by coaches (and judges and athletes) at a meet other than to video their athletes is strictly prohibited by USAG Rules and Policies. If the meet directors aren't policing this, bad on them. It can lead to a sanction violation.

During practice it is an issue of safety.

yes, yes and YES!

The only time I have seen a coach texted during a meet was when our team girls' scores were getting mixed up with another group in their rotation. One of our moms texted the HC to let her know it was happening so she could alert the judges. At this past meet, I could see my kid's heel was hurting her badly and yes, I briefly thought about texting the HC but I didn't. I trusted that her coaches would take care of her (they did).

i'm sure the coach was very appreciative (hear sarcasm)

I can tell you for sure that my staff sends me meet updates after each event when I am not at the meet. Just playing devils advocate.

I can tell you for sure that my staff sends me meet updates after each event when I am not at the meet. Just playing devils advocate.
But it's your staff right, not the parents, or is staff code for parents. :D

\

We often use the force with the coach "fix his pommel pants" "fix his pommel pants" WOrks about 25% of tf the time! LOL!

We were pretty close to rings a few meets ago and actually shouted it. Didn't work. Though maybe it got the judge to notice and take the deduction. :D

We were pretty close to rings a few meets ago and actually shouted it. Didn't work. Though maybe it got the judge to notice and take the deduction. :D

In the years the boys wore compression shirts instead of singlets it was worse! YOu could see the bellies al the time. We used to all get together and try to send the thought to someone on the team to TUCK IN THE SHIRT. They switched to singlets the next year.

Our coaches expect us to be just spectators and keep our concerns to ourselves during the meet. If we have concerns to bring them up after the meet.

Our coaches expect us to be just spectators and keep our concerns to ourselves during the meet. If we have concerns to bring them up after the meet.
Well then, there would have been a big mess by the time that awards rolled around because scores for 2 teams would have been completely messed up. When the scores were mixed up, the girls were only in the 2nd rotation. The girls were supposed to stay in the exact same order all 4 rotations, but the coaches didn't know that and DD's group went 1st on the 2nd rotation. Their scores were being assigned to the other group and they were using the girls' numbers instead of names (so the coaches didn't realize the error and might not have until the end). This saved the meet people a huge headache at the end of the session, I think. Again, this really is the only time I have seen a parent text a coach during a meet. And my daughter has been competing for 5 years.

Unless the text says "Hi, Coach, my child has strep throat and won't be showing up for the next session," this is TOTALLY CRAZYPANTS!
and,,,, here is a prime example of a text that a parent would send a coach, "sick" "stuck in Traffic" and "DD is not able to check in" . Anyways, obviously if a coach is fixated on a phone when they should be taking care of a group then that is a problem. But on the flip side parents have to communicate with the coaching staff to alert them of sick kids, or a massive accident and traffic etc... So the notion that a parent/coach should never EVER communicate via text at a meet is not realistic.

I feel really uncomfortable having the coaches mobile numbers and keep texting to a minimum, just a text to say "sorry, so and so will not be a practice, and the reason why". The only other time I have text a coach was about fundraising stuff that I was organising for my daughters group, and that was with permission from the coach. I do try and keep gym and home a separate thing and not contact the coach unless really necessary.

As for texting a coach while at a comp, that is completely unnecessary, the coach never has their mobile out or I have never seen it. I would never approach a judge or any other official at a comp unless I was spoken to first.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back