Does anyone make/customise their own leotards?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you are like me and you have no time to sew, nor the desire (lol), I found a great website called Melody Leos. Just google it and it will come up. You can pick different fabrics for the designs they have and a lot of their leos are only $30 but they look as good as the $70 GK leos. DD and I had a great time designing her own leos. She feels so proud to wear them to the gym since she picked out the colors and all her teammates are now doing the same thing. The quality was great and they came super fast, like a week later. Just thought I'd add that for the non crafty types like myself.

Oops sorry Faith. I just realised I kind of hijacked your thread :) Sorry again!

Hijack away!!

Margo love that second fabric. I'm going to go have a look at some overlockers/sergers, just to see if I think I can work one :eek:. Will I need an ordinary sewing machine as well do you think?

I'd like to start with plain leo's and use spray paint, crystals etc to produce something a bit different. I've noticed things like that go for quite a lot on ebay- just plain with say a crystal butterfly on the front type thing. So I'm wondering if I can give making some short sleeved ones a go- the pattern is simple enough I think, I just need to figure out elastic- looking at DD's it appears to be sewn into the seam rather than threaded through.

When I find some time I'll give it a go :D

Faith

Got the jalie pattern and I think it shouldn't be too hard.

The pattern is printed on sturdy papper - not like the Style and Butterick ones and has a gazillion sizes on it. I have traced the size I need onto some greasproof paper but will have to alter it as baby girl has the waist and trunk mesurement of one size and the hips of 4 sizes down (obviously doesn't take after her mother !) I will have to take it in 5 cm !

I am also going to add some piping and have found a link on how to make elastic piping.

As for customising I have found these eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace and thought they could jazz up a plain leo.

'margo

oooh my pattern says if you don't have an overlocker to stich like this

sewing instructions.jpg

a zig zag right on the edge and a straight stitch on the seam allowance - although I do have a stretch stitch on my machine, and the elastic is sewed onto the edge of the opening and then folded over and sewed again.

Last edited:
I don't have a sewing machine either- which was why I was wondering if I could just buy a serger and do without a standard machine...I've never had a machine, although my hand sewing and embroidery is pretty good.

I found a good site for crystals too, forgot to bookmark though so will google again and see if I can find it...

for crystals in the UK, try rhinestonesonline.co.uk, sparklzrhinestones.co.uk, and crystalstoshine.co.uk

There are different grades of crystals, swarovski and preciosa are the most expensive, czech rhinestones like the ones on rhinestonesonline are very inexpensive, and DMC crystals which are sold by sparklzrhinestones are a mid range stone but very nice. Rhinestonesonline also do rhinestuds in lots of colours, and hotfix pearls and sequins - loads of possibilities!

If you don't have a crystal applicator, you can glue them on with fabric glue or gemtac, or if you look on ebay you can find rhinestone transfers which are designs on a clear plasticky backing that you iron onto the fabric then peel the backing away - you'd have to be careful with the lycra though

My daughter has been making leotards for about 6 years now, it took her about 6 months to 1 year to perfect the pattern but she can now pop them out like nobody's business. It certainly has helped pay the bills of her two daughters for gymnastics instruction/competitions....but it has been a lot of work. And just a note, a lot of the postings here are spot on....if you know how to sew...but I don't think this is a project for a beginner.

Well, just finished my first attempt. I have been sewing it whils dd is in bed and she doesn't know about it. She has gym tomorrow afternoon so I will pop it in her gym bag and wait and see her reaction when she finds it :D

FILE0007.jpg Front

FILE0009.jpg Back

The pattern says to use a bikini clasp but couldn't fiddle it so I used two press studs.

'Margo

very talented ladies. I can sew..but not well enough to make a leotard. (made my daughter a sun dress last summer and it about drove me nuts..lol). My mother was wonderful with a sewing machine. Could make anything (and often did..because we didnt have much money). One of the many skills she had that I wish I had taken the time to learn while I still had the chance.

So cute! I hope your dd loves it, let us know her reaction. Anyone want to come out my way and help me improve my sewing skills? ;)

Very nice job on the leo! I can sew (sortof). I have made many halloween costumes but if I screw them up they are only wearing them once (and its dark outside lol!). I don't think I have the talent (or patience) to make a leo!!

looks fab!

The other good thing about the Jalie pattern is that, where the commercial leos (in the UK) go up in two inch graduations (size 24, 26, 28, 30 etc) the Jalie pattern goes up in 1" graduations - so if your child is 'between' sizes, it is easy to accomodate

Wow Margo, Fantastic first attempt!

I haven't got round to anything yet- done plenty of thinking and planning, but not got as far as ordering supplies :eek:

My mum has a very old Singer sewing machine, one of those ones from the 70's when everyone made their own clothes. So it's quality, if antiquated. She doesn't use it any more so she will bring it next time she visits (she lives 400 miles away) and will show me the basics.

Otherwise I've bought a plain white lycra leo, and a black velour leo off ebay for a couple of pounds. I'm going to get some stencil spray and a hot wand for crystals and try some butterfly/flowers etc. I know what it looks like in my head, just have to find the design!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back