Drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastdiva0913

I"m a level 1/2 gymnast! I can do a cartwheel, backbend, sorta a backbend kickover, handstand, round-off, and handstand disomount on beam! I was wondering if there are any drills I can do to improve these, and to improve on my back handsprings?

I would suggest alot of back bends, to stretch your back. Keep your feet together, and legs straight, puch until your head is over your hands. This will help the flexibility in your back and help with your kick over.
As for handstands practice up against a wall, shrug your shoulders while in your handstands. Also when you're at practice doing handstands when you go to kick from your lunge reach out as far as you can, this will keep you from putting so much power that you fall over. Keep your muscles tight!
Kartwheel- Its like a dance move find a line you can work on. Lung. First hand on the floor is beat 1, second hand beat 2, first foot beat 3, second foot is beat 4. It will help if you have a metronome.
Round Off- I don't have any drills for this one... Just make sure you're getting your left hand (Right hand if you use your left leg) around to the other side of your right.
I don't remember doing handstand dismounts. I started team when I was 7, and I was doing round off dismounts.

Hi, there. When my daughter wanted to get her backbend kickover, she practiced by putting her feet up on our couch. Once she could do it that way, she removed the cusion so it was lower, then she moved just the cusion to the floor, and then she could do them without any aid. Of course, you have to be careful not to get hurt, and you have to have parents who don't mind you flipping off of the furniture, lol!! Hope this helps a little...:)

Great ideas, I like the couch cushion one the best. This is an area we are trying to work on for my DD who is 6. She is really close doing it on her own, on the wedge it's effortless. 1-2 cushions at home might be enough to give her the added practice and confidence to try it.

When my daughter was working her handstand she would use the front door (inside) to kick up onto and hold. You could hear her clunk the door and eventually she got so good that she could control her body without clunking. Now it's years later and when they do handstand contests for fun she usually wins at least one round.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back