Epic failures

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi guys,
I have had my share of epic failures in gymnastics (wait a minute, they were all on beam!) and I was wondering you guys out there had as many or as fail-y (i know, i know, it not a word, but it should be). It doesn't have to be funny, just has to be epic.....
One of mine is more painful than funny, and the other is kinda funny (but you guys might not get it 'cause it's only funny when you see it)

The painful one: So I was doing a perfect cartwheel side handstand dismount when i held it too long, and then i crashed on the beam on my hip, and then fell onto the floor.... Ouch! :eek:

The kinda funny one: This time, all the high beams were occupied (and i gotta admit i was a little relieved, after The Big Crash) so me and my friend started practicing cartwheel side handstand dismounts on one of those beams that is only like, a foot above the ground. When it was my turn i (again) did a perfect cartwheel side handstand dismount but i was holding it too long (again), and i kind panicked so i ended up doing the (level 4?) dismount where you're doing the same thing, but before you come down to the ground, you turn, and i did so, and it was perfect :D, but when i came down, whacked me cheek. I was fine. really. my cheek was just pink. :rolleyes:

Tell me your epic failures!

I did a full turn on the high beam once and my foot slipped and somehow I feel on the beam on the chest it hurt really bad and I am sure looked just awesome.

I have flung off the double mini and even the trampoline more times than I care to count. I almost broke a window running backwards after my double mini pass.

I think the best current one was my hands were all sweaty and I had them on the side mats of the trampoline and tried to jump up onto my butt and my hands slipped and I fell, how stupid is that. I totally turned red and neither me or the coach could stop laughing.

Best beam fail: I was doing a chassé in warmup, tripped, hit my face, slammed my ribs and then spilt the beam. I had bruised ribs for weeks!

Another time I was doing a free roll starting in arabesque & ended up bellyflopping/face-smashing the beam.

Best bars fail: I clipped my toes on the low bar doing a flyaway straight & broke my big toe knuckle.

Moral of the story: make sure you either pike or straddle down your cast away swing. Or check that the bars are at the right setting.

Best vault fail: Accidental front layout over the vault. Also "beach whaling" or "bellyflopping" the vault ALL OF THE TIME.

Best floor fail: Front handspring front pike-miss my feet-open early- slam my face on the floor & skid 5 feet. On my face.

Resulting in a carpet burn all the way down my face, broken braces, cut lips, bloody nose, sore neck & going in shock. That was a fun one.

When I first started gymnastics, I was going to do my front handspring to flat back vault when I accidentally bent over to avoid falling wrong and landed on my feet! What was an almost awful accident turn into almost a perfect front handspring vault.
Oh And I HAVE fallen on my cartwheel to handstand dismount many times so you're not alone:)

Vault: The other week we were warming up and doing straight jumps onto a line of blocks with a mat on top (sort of like the level 4 vault mat). I took off too close to the board and when I landed I had way too much power and ended up faceplanting and sliding all the way to the end and right off! It didn't hurt at all but I'm sure it looked hilarious.
Tumble track: We had a resi mat at the end with a wedge on it, and we were doing a drill where you do a round off and jump to your back on the wedge. It was the end of practice and I was really tired, so I jumped crooked. Instead of landing on the mat, I flew right off the side and landed on my head (luckily there was a mat right there). My friends and coach still laugh about that. (Again, I didn't get hurt, it just shook me up).
Bars: When I was a level 4, I didn't have enough chalk on my hands, and when I went to do a back hip circle, I peeled off and landed on my face. My coach almost fell off the block she was sitting on because it scared her so bad! After checking to see if I was okay, she told me to try again... and the exact same thing happened! Needless to say, I was done with those for the day!
Beam: Spraining my ankle falling off the floor beam. That's right, the floor beam.
Floor: We had just gotten an air floor and we were having so much fun trying things on it. I went to try a dive roll and got way more height than I had been expecting, missed my hands, landed on my back, and bounced a foot in the air from my back! I have never done one of those on the air floor again!
Other: Climbed to the top of the rope, my legs were curled around it, lost my grip with my hands, and slid all the way down until I hit the ground. I have a scar on my leg from doing that. Another time, I lost my grip almost at the top and ended up letting go and falling 15 feet to the ground. Luckily I landed on my feet and didn't get hurt, but boy that was scary!
I'm sure there's waaaayyy more... I'm quite injury prone, in case you couldn't tell :D

Here it goes!

Once, on bars, I was doing a straddle off dismount, but somehow I didn't let go. I peeled off the bars towards the low bar, and did a back hip circle with my wrists/forearms. It was scary but I was fine. :thumbsup:

On a handspring vault, my shoulders were WAY closed so I had to put a foot down but there was still too much forward momentum so I had to do a bellyflop onto the mat, flying squirrel style. Actually, I do flying squirrel style belly flops quite often :rolleyes:(bailing on a front tumble, losing balance on punch front beam dismount...).

A memorable one was the first time I went on a tumble track. It was a really hard,unbouncy, and sucky one. I jumped really high and did a bum drop, or at least tried to do one. I face planted into my knees. XD

Beam: (I am infamous in my class for spectacular falls on beam) I did a full turn, but instead of my second foot making contacts with the beam, it missed...so my chin slammed into the beam instead

Bars: attempting a cast to handstand, and instead of my hips hitting the bar, I slid back and hit my stomach...that was interesting!

Vault: wasn't really 'vaulting', just doing donkey kicks for the fun of it...somehow, my foot missed the spring board, and I did a awkward split-thingy-do... I was SOOO embarrassed!

Nice thread:)

So about 4 years ago I was doing a split jump on beam but I ended up doing a star jump and didn't get me feet back together in time. I ended up straddling the beam and scrapping the inside of my thighs on the way down. It really hurt and I always remember to do a split jump and not a star jump now!!!

My shins are also always covered in a line of bruises from failed bars attempts.

Oh boy this is my kind of thread, lets see....
Beam fall 1: full turn foot slipped and I split the beam, I continue to do a backward roll along the beam and ended up under the beam at the other end.

Beam fall 2: me and my teammate sharing a beam facing different directions and both start to walkover. We meet with our hands literally a few inches away from each other, my immediate reaction was to curl up in a ball causing me to bounce off my shins off the beam.

Floor; managed to handspring and my feet didn't really touch the ground at the end just kind of brushed it and I went for the front tuck after (never bail right?) and just kinda came down on my neck.

Bars: toe shoot dismount kid runs across landing may I freak out and contort myself in mid air, I miss the kid and landed in a heap on the mat

The number of times I split the beam.....

Floor- deciding to open my double pike years to early to land splat on my stomach :S
Bars- blind full that I thought was perfect in handstand until I went loose and straddled the bar(probably the most painful one :0)
Beam- split change leap to miss the beam completely(like a star jump)
- BHS LO to my knee. Don't even know how that happened but it was because I was trying to connect it again.
Vault- none really except falling out of the sky....
My teammate decided last week to head straight for the vault at full speed and hug it... And knocked it over into the pit.

My aren't really funny... I pulled in on a double back full out on bars and whacked my head on the bar... A pretty scary concussion.

Um this ones kind of funny... I was working back hand spring to layout on beam (straight body, land on 2 feet) and I just sort of landed beside the beam. My coach joked about how that would be my new dismount for like ever.

A few days ago I did my front aerial but somehow my bottom foot slipped so I put my hands down and somehow landed on my back on the beam and flipped over onto the floor...

I missed my foot on a beam dismount and ended up bruising my chest bone. If you haven't done that you don't know how painful it is! I couldn't even lift my arms!

On a toe shoot on bars (like really one of the easiest skills in my routine) I pretty much shot straight up and came doing hard on one arm breaking both bones and needing surgery... Not fun.

I fell on a flick flick a long time ago on beam and landed half on the 8 inch may and half of the mat... That was enough to fracture a bone in my ankle.

I was warming up vault and I managed to hit my head pretty hard on the table on a tuck! And I work a layout full... Pretty stupid...

I used to miss my hands on my series at least 2 times a day (flick flick). This was a loooong time ago but I remember I wipped out so much on that that it became normal...

Yeah not fun but those are a few of my many many fails!

I am pretty old now 29? and sticking to that! I did a floor routine and every pass I grunted! The gymnasts laughed. Now they grunt when we do floor dance' LOL

I was doing a round off-bhs- back tuck into the pit and my steps somehow got off before my round off (pretty weird since I only take 2 steps, then hurdle) so instead of just stopping after my round off like any normal person, I ended up doing a barrel roll halfway across the floor!

Sent from my iPod touch using ChalkBucket mobile app :)

There's so many, really. Haha.

Most painful thing was probably biting THROUGH my tongue. Was just starting to do 2 back handsprings in a row on floor on my own. I backed out of the second one too late and landed on my head. And I tend to stick my tongue out when I concentrate or do gymnastics. So I bit right through the thing, lol.

Funniest would be over rotating a full and a half and doing an impromptu dive roll out of it. Normally when I land full and a halves I'm about 3 feet away from the wall of my gym. Needless to say, add a high speed roll to that and I nearly went through the dang wall.

I have a pretty dumb one. I was doing a drill for bhs step out that involved jumping to my back to a round thing on top of a resi. Well, somehow I jumped extra hard and flew over the entire set up and into the bars behind me, where I proceeded to roll into a group of our optionals waiting to go on bars. pretty embarrassing, but I got this really cool bruise on my leg that looked like a star.

oh, and just last week I split the beam on a pivot turn. A PIVOT TURN. how does that even happen?

Oh gosh.
Beam: I did a back tuck completely split the beam. My feet were right there, just a touch to far apart, so both ankles hyperflexed my ankles (they were ok) and I split the beam. That hurt really bad!

Bars: I was doing a pirouette. I did the turn and was reaching for the bar to grab it again, and I did, but I thought I gripped the bar better than I did and I shifted my hand and the hand I didn't pirouette with slipped right off the bar and I fell on my face. Then I have another, I was dismounting and I let go really late, but I still went for it and I went straight up and my shins hit the bar. Luckily, coach was spotting me on it anyway, so he caught me before I broke my neck.

Floor: I was going to do a double tuck onto an 8 incher, and so I asked my coach to spot me and he said he only was going to tip me up higher so I have more air time. And so, he did, and I got a really awesome set and I completely maxed out my rotation and since my coach tipped me higher, I over rotated a lot and landed on my back. I was okay if anybody was wondering:)

Vault: tripping over the spring board while running full speed and hitting my face on the vault!

Oooh, forgot about this one, but I am famous in the gym for it.

I was competing in a fun meet while in Intermediate. I wanted to really impress everyone since it was my first meet & first year in gymnastics.

I kicked up into a BEAUTIFUL handstand on beam, held it for 7 seconds... and fell straight to my back on the beam HARD. I started laughing, attempted to compose myself, got back on still giggling, did a beautiful high cat leap... right to crotcher.

I still get teased for that one.

At my first expo, I fell on my beam mount! How do you fall on a mount?!?! It wasn't even hard, it was just a level 3 (USAG)
mount.

More recently, I was doing a handstand on beam when someone walked next to me, I freaked out and came down on my shin on the beam.

I managed to fracture my foot by getting it suck between the end of the tumble-track and the mat. I fell straight on my face and of course all the optionals were watching. (I was only in rec)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back