Parents Exhausted on floor?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

themonkeysmom

Proud Parent
I just found out that my gymnast has been getting exhausted shortly after starting floor each practice, and sometimes on pommel or vault for a few weeks now. He's able to complete the practice, but his endurance is just not the same. Outside of the gym, he has a normal energy level, and he's able to participate in PE at school without issues.

He says he just feels wiped out and sometimes a little woozy.

I can't put my finger on what would cause the issue at the gym only. He loves going and wants his energy back.

I plan on trying to have him get more sleep and I'll be tweaking what he's eating and drinking before practice, and if that's not it, I guess we'll see the doctor.

Growth spurt? Nutrition? Blood sugar?
Anyone experienced something similar?

It has happened to my DD before and yes, often corresponds with a growth spurt. I usually start sending snacks or "second lunch" in to school when this happens, but I know not all schools are ok with students eating during the day, except at lunch time.

How old? if early adolescence then welcome to the ride - this will come and go for a few years - some kids much more effected than others, and as long as energy outside of gym is normal than its not usually anything you can "fix"....

If younger than could be growth, or too much stuff catching up (winter viruses, school, gym, travel, etc). Again, if everything else is "normal" likely is nothing to worry about. My DS 13 really struggles with the "tireds" this year - both with puberty and with late nights with his music (plays in adult orchestra/quartet) along with gym training demands increasing as he is stronger....it drives me nuts...but its normal for him!

Thanks for the advice so far. He just turned 10. I was a bit surprised when the coach told me because he seems like his normal self otherwise.

Have you thought about giving him a multi-vitamin? Anything to boost his immune system - he could be fighting things off, even though actually getting sick. Might be time to visit a doctor though just to rule out some things.

That's another good thought. He was definitely exposed to the flu pretty extensively via a good friend we thought just had a bad cold at the time, and although he didn't come down with it, he's been sniffly on and off ever since. I did buy him a good multivitamin last night. We'll see if it helps.

Hmm. Could just be a cold.

Make sure sleep is ample as is calories and hydration.

Nothing irks me more than a kid training poorly because they aren't eating enough. It's hard sometimes as the lil buggers will always be hungry. I just send them to the fridge to eat out my stash. Sometimes I tease them that they have to do burpees or gym chores but to be honest...I just want them to train hard and tease them while I get the chance.

Update: I took him to the doctor, and it turns out that he has a sinus infection. According to the doc, that accounts for the exhaustion and dizziness, and generally feeling like crud after tumbling. The poor kid has infected sinuses and a little resulting lung inflammation and I had no idea. After a few days on antibiotics he was able to make it through the first 2.5 hours of practice, including floor, with full energy before he started going downhill. It looks like he's on the upswing.

Poor little guy! My daughter struggles with sinus issues off and on, and it definitely has an impact. Glad to hear he is on the road to recovery.

Glad you figured it out. My son had dragged out sinus infection in October/November combined with some asthma issues and we never realized how bad he was feeling until the antibiotic finally worked and he was back to his normal happy self. These little guys are just too tough for their own good sometimes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back