WAG Eye sight-glasses, contacts, adjusting...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter wore glasses for 2 seasons at the gym/meets, and just got contacts a month ago. She loves them- no seeing over the top or below her glasses during acro skills on beam, no more bumps of glasses on her face, etc. It took 2 tries at the optometrist's office for her to get them in her eyes for the first time, but after that first success, it got easy for her very quickly. She had to be very determined to do it, and needed to work through initial frustrations about getting the contacts in for the first time. We had discussions about staying calm, not letting the frustration get the best of her, this is a skill, very much like working on a skill at the gym. The second time she went to the office, they had her in a small room designed for trying on contacts- this helped a lot. She also had an awesome assistant teach her how to do it. On the first attempt, she was out in the open, where all the glasses are displayed, among the public. I wouldn't recommend that setting for trying to put in contacts for the first time.

My daughter was very slightly far-sighted since the age of 2. During her annual check up this past June, we discovered one of her eyes is now very slightly near-sighted. 1 far-sighted eye and 1 near-sighted eye. I wondered, finally, if this was the cause of her fear of jumping to the high bar. So I started making her wear her glasses. Over Christmas I bought her this pair of glasses....

310816_lg.jpg

Because the frames fit around the ear, they are snug and do NOT move on her. I am not a fan of contacts for her (9yo) even though another of her teammates (also 9yo) wears contacts in the gym. Honestly I have no concrete reason for the "no contacts", just a vague distaste over it for young kids. So here is a glasses option.

Can I just thank you for this thread. My DD wears glasses for school but has never wore them to gym. I happened to see her straining her eyes when practising on her home floor beam, so I gently asked if she ever missed her glasses in gym. She confessed that she struggles to see things sometimes (e.g the end of the beam). Hadn't even thought to ask before. Going to speak to her optician and ask what her options are.

Thank you all again for the helpful tips! Her appointment is tomorrow, she is very excited. .. I just hope she's a good candidate and can do them!

There's a little girl in my rec class who wears what looks like sunglasses because she is colour blind and they frequently are falling off... I hope something can be done for her in the form of contacts because soon she will be moving up into team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back