False start on vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Last weekend was my dd's first meet at level 5. She started down the runway (I'm sure that's not the "real" word for it), stopped, and went back and did it again. I thought that the false start would count as one of her two tries, but it didn't. So then, I assume then there's some sort of a deduction for it? She was having some fear issues on the vault (which she seems to have overcome... for now at least!). Anyone know what the rules are about a "false start" like that?

and I believe , including the above, you only get a maximum of 3 attempts (whether you vault or not)

lol, runway is the real word for it. It's a runway.

If you don't touch the board, it is a false start. One time. Doesn't count against any scoring, and you get two more tries. Even if they only did one vault, nothing would count against the score. They just score the vault they see. If they do two vaults, they score both and the higher score is the score you see.

"Runway" just doesn't sound very gymnastic-y somehow. :D

So if she had...

false start
vault
false start

Then her second false would count as her second vault? Or is it one false start allowed per vault? Do they get more picky about that sort of thing as they go up through the levels, or are you always allowed one false start?

I think they only get three attempts (whether they be vaults or false starts) total and only 2 vaults

Thanks! And "balk" is a good term for it. Hopefully there won't be too many more "balks" in her future! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back