WAG Fastest way to help new little level 5s find their vault steps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Susan

Coach
For all of you vault gurus...

What's the fastest/most efficient way to help young (age 7) training 5s learn their vault steps? These kids scored 9s in level 4 despite the fact they did not have consistent running steps. I know they will figure it out in time, but I'll bet someone out there has figured out how to teach it in less time. If so, please share!

Thanks, Susan

the basics. start the run with the same leg that they hurdle off of. and keep the number to 9/11/13 etc; running steps. yes, there are exceptions as i'm sure someone will point out. but these are the basics and they work consistently across the board with most kids and both boys and girls.

Ditto dunno's advice.....but I've gotten really good results by giving them 3 levels of vaulting to work with each day, and at each level they are allowed a certain number of steps. Their first few warm-up vaults (at level 5) are a three step run to a punch/rebound to a stand on the table. The next exercise is a tucked position head spring from a five step run, and then they get to use 7 steps for a tucked/piked/stretched (or whatever) hand spring. Using fewer steps forces them to learn how to run as fast as they can....just to make it over, and it keeps the running distance short enough (3 & 5 steps) that they seldom "lose track" and resort to chopping their steps to compensate. Hey, it sure beats watching kids weave and wobble through 11-20 steps to do a flatback.

Start with 3 steps and a hurdle. Let them know that those 3 steps are the most important steps they do in vault. Take a couple of steps back once they've figured out a comfortable way to do this. Each time they get the feel for the last 3 steps and the hurdle, move back a few more steps. Once they get back to the 9,10,11.. step range, you can make small adjustments to their starting point to get the hurdle the right distance from the board.

We did similar things to what Iwannacoach and CoachTodd are saying: First started with a drill that was just a few steps & hurdle, then used half their run, then full run. If their runs start to look bad, I still go back to this. Also, get them in the idea of going over no matter what/not balking. As a gymnast, I had a coach once ask me why it mattered if I was "on the wrong foot" if both feet hit the board at the same time. Good point. Their steps aren't always going to be perfect, the more they just keep doing it, the better and more consistent they'll get.

My dd had to write her starting leg, measurement and number of steps on the wall beside the start of where she runs. It's the "wall of shame" (but TOTALLY in a lighthearted joking way) for the girls at the gym who keep messing that up.

And I know it isn't an answer to the original question but it made me think of this. They even brought me in the gym to see it, lol. :)

yep, it gets frustrating that their whole life they start their run with their left foot. then inexplicably, they start with their right. and of course they don't know why. hence, the "wall of shame". for conventional vaults it's not the end of the world. but for yurchenkos? a whole other story.:)

yep, it gets frustrating that their whole life they start their run with their left foot. then inexplicably, they start with their right. and of course they don't know why. hence, the "wall of shame". for conventional vaults it's not the end of the world. but for yurchenkos? a whole other story.:)

Well I hope by the time she is doing those she will have it figured out.

we have our gymnasts take 13 steps (actualy fewer for those who can't fit 13 steps into our run up area!) but as Dunno said, always an odd number and start off on their hurdle leg.

Why an odd number of steps?

The wall of shame works great, but I have a notebook to back it up. I started keeping the notes when I had a kid switch back and forth day after day.....after day. When I asked her why, she said "some days I feel leftish, and some days I feel rightish".

The odd number of steps......hmm. If you support your weight with your left leg while swinging your right leg into the hurdle, you do so, in my humblest of opinions, because that leg offers better balance and push-off. These same qualities can be used at the start of the run to help you get a balanced start and build speed more quickly. So a three step run from a standing start would sequence like this........lean forward step out to the left, to the right, and to the left leg.....swing the right leg through to the hurdle.

Their steps aren't always going to be perfect, the more they just keep doing it, the better and more consistent they'll get.....gymnastJC

Here's a tip to get em consistent. Kids generally will run nearly the exact same distance each time if they run full speed, all out, pedal to the metal. That's because they have only one ideal stride length for full speed, and if it changes due fatigue during a workout those changes will be minor and are easily adjusted by moving up about six inches every five vaults during a fast paced vault session.

That's why I insist that every trip down the runway must happen at full speed, or as full as it can get with the 3,5,7,9,11,13 steps they have.

and just for info, there is approximately 3 feet between each running step at full speed.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I haven't had a chance to give it a try since we've had coaches out sick. My blended groups of kids were too hodge podge to tackle running steps this week. I can't wait to give it a try next week when we should be back to a full staff.

I have my girls start on the spring board and jump off of two feet and run down the runway until they feel like they should jump. I have someone waiting down down to mark where they jumped from. Has worked for years ....every now and then when they studder step or something I have them take a step back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back