feeling sick at practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well daughter went to practice today again the heat was not as bad but she felt sick again and thought she was going to vomit. This happened after running and conditioning. Luckily she sat out for a little bit and then it passed and she returned to practice. She has practice at 8am in the summer and she is not a morning eater. She is also picky she usually only likes a bagel or donut it is a challenge to feed her before an early morning meet but she usually does not feel sick. I do not know if it is the heat making her feel sick or just the extra conditioning or what. I would skip feeding her but she needs to eat practice last for 41/2 with no snack break. Any suggestions on what to feed her or do to help?

not rocket science. don't listen to everything you might hear or be told.

she needs to eat and be hydrated. period.

WOW! I could have written your post! Same thing is happening to my DD too! She has never been a fan of running, but on Tuesday on one of THE hottest days here in NJ, she felt like she was either going to throw up or pass out. They shortened practice on Weds because of the extreme heat but still made the girls run 10 laps. Not sure what the 10 lap distance is but she was c/o feeling sick again. Gave coaches hard time. I said something to coach unrelated on Thursday and SHE brought up my DD giving them hard time about running. I told her DD didn't feel good Monday and I think it scared her, plus the heat. Now she has run in the Summer and never really liked it but never really gave a hard time before, at old gym or last Summer when we started new gym. Coach says she expects them to start to run a little and then complain, but my DD moans right from the start. In all the years she has done gym this is the only thing she truly hates. I will also try the extra hydration, and I've explained how she is not the only one being asked to run, it is the entire team, but what else to say or do to help them thru it?

Pandamom, could our DD's be twins????

Blackies mom our daughters do sound very similar. Daughter had issues with the running last year and it resolved after I got her an inhaler we figured out that she had exercised induced asthma she even ran track this year. I really think it is a combination of the heat and the running. And trying to get her to eat and drink. I just think in her mind she is afraid to eat and drink before practice. Her coach did not say anything today to me my daughter told me what happened. I actually think the coaches ecspecailly the head coach is aware that the girls do not like the running but they feel it is necessary to build up their endurance for the sport. Lets just hope that both of our daughters can survive this summer heat!

If she is getting sick then I would cut down the running. It sounds like in the two cases described this is a regimen that has picked up (fair enough, it's summer and the off-season, "building" cycle) but it may have picked up too fast. Hydration is very important because it can make you feel sick to your stomach from dizziness, etc if you're dehydrated. Also, I find that when I run in the heat I get cramps that feel like uterine cramps - not quite but I don't know how else to describe it. It's not unheard of. Google it and you'll see a lot of descriptions, but maybe it only affects adult women though, I don't really know. It's really uncomfortable and tends to last awhile after running. I usually have to lay down. I suppose to a pre-pubescent girl discomfort like that (if they were getting them, hypothetically) may be described as feeling like they have to vomit (since they would have no reference point), because it feels a little like that, but what it feels like is intense uterine cramping.

For me, drinking helps, but it seems to be the heat. I'm not really even doing hard runs now because of it. But simply being overexerted can cause this. I understand from a coaching standpoint not wanting to set a precedence of letting them out of it, but it's also important to monitor these things carefully. I monitor running carefully. Those with inhalers must bring their inhaler TO where we are running and it must be in my sight, not in a gym bag pocket back in a cubby or locker in another location. This is dangerous. If there is a true need for it by the time someone could go find it then the situation may escalate. I have heard of cases of this happening. The person who needs it may not be able to go find it or describe where it is in the moment of need. If I know a kid has asthma, then I modify certain things or have them get a drink of water halfway through. I also try to "work smart" - I definitely support cardio and think it's important for overall fitness, but at the same time we're not running cross country. I try to keep overall goals in mind.

I just looked it up online and found these four main reasons for nausea related to exercise:

- Low blood sugar levels due to working out on an empty stomach
- Overexertion
- Dehydration
- Motion sickness from performing abdominal exercises

So it's likely it may be from the low blood sugar levels mixed with dehydration. It could be something else though, so if it doesn't improve then don't hesitate to ask your family doctor about it.

Also make sure she is breathing properly while she runs. I know that sounds pretty basic but if she is hypoventilating and not taking in enough air then she might be feeling dizzy/faint due to lack of oxygen (and increase in carbon dioxide) in her blood. Same if she is hyperventilating, which would cause too MUCH oxygen for the blood and make her feel faint.

If you google "running breathing techniques" you will find many websites that provide help for this problem.

Hope this helps! Hopefully she will feel better soon :)

Last edited:
My son often complained of feeling sick after gym and after swim practice, and he also LOOKED sick, mostly pale, sometimes flushed, clammy and shaky. We figured out he was becoming dehydrated to the point where he felt ill. His coach at gym was always sending the boys for drinks and he would just have a few sips only. By the end of training he was nearly always nauseous.

We had a chat about why he was feeling ill and that the solution was really up to him, now he is always the first to grab a drink. He is not really a big eater, but the rule is "no healthy snack = no gym" so he does eat a small snack before gym now.

Hydration is very important for any athlete.

I think that it is odd that they would have a 41/2 hour practice with no snack break. That is a very long time to participate in any activity without some type of snack.

Have you approached the coach and asked about allowing a small break for a healthy snack?

I would suggest getting her to eat fruit in the morning. Frozen if possible. I'm also a very picky morning eater. Usually when I eat something other than fruit in the morning I feel sick and with this heat I feel even sicker. I try to eat frozen fruits because it can cool me down and it's a great way to start off the day. If you keep them frozen (possibly with ice packs in a lunchbox.) and have cold water waiting it could help her with the nausea.

I hope this helps.

I definitely think running and heat, especially the combination of the two, is harder on some people than it is on others. And if running is not a pleasant experience for someone, of course they are not going to want to do it. I would try to explain to the coaches what is going on, let them know that if she does act up it's not just for the purpose of causing a problem, but that something else is going on. Just make sure they are aware of any potential problems.
My suggestions would be the same as mostly as the others already posted- cut back on the running and, if truly necessary, slowly build back up; eat something before practice- would she drink an all fruit smoothie? Just fruit, ice, and maybe a little 100% fruit juice? She could eat it on the run, there would be no dairy which could exacerbate stomach irritation, and might be something enjoyable for her to eat; STAY HYDRATED! This is sososo important! Dehydration, especially when engaging in intense physical activity, can be a very dangerous condition leading to problems way worse than nausea.
Are there any small, finger food type snacks she enjoys and could keep in her gym bag for a quick bite at water breaks? I had, at most, 4 hour practices as a gymnast with no breaks, but I also ate something substantial before practice. Even so, if I go too long without a small snack, especially if I'm exerting myself, I can get shaky and light headed which is not a desirable problem anywhere, but especially not in the gym. If she can't get back to her gym bag to grab a quick bite of something, talk to her coaches about it. Explain the problem and most (reasonable) coaches would allow her to sneak away for a minute or two.

I'm in the group that thinks 4 1/2 hours of practice is too long without a snack break. Compound this with the fact that many kids do not eat that early in the morning. Several here have mentioned picky morning eaters. I have one too. She is just not ready for breakfast until she has been up for an hour or more. Same with my son, and their cousins, who visited recently, are the same way.I'd be trying to talk the coach into a 10 to 15 min. break about an hour into practice. I'd bet your dd is not the only one who needs it

I just looked it up online and found these four main reasons for nausea related to exercise:

- Low blood sugar levels due to working out on an empty stomach
- Overexertion
- Dehydration
- Motion sickness from performing abdominal exercises

So it's likely it may be from the low blood sugar levels mixed with dehydration. It could be something else though, so if it doesn't improve then don't hesitate to ask your family doctor about it.

Also make sure she is breathing properly while she runs. I know that sounds pretty basic but if she is hypoventilating and not taking in enough air then she might be feeling dizzy/faint due to lack of oxygen (and increase in carbon dioxide) in her blood. Same if she is hyperventilating, which would cause too MUCH oxygen for the blood and make her feel faint.

If you google "running breathing techniques" you will find many websites that provide help for this problem.

Hope this helps! Hopefully she will feel better soon :)

These are very good suggestions! I also agree that 4 1/2hrs with no type of snack break is too much, especially if your dd is slightly hypo-glycemic (low blood sugar).

If she is hypo-glycemic, the bagel is not the best thing before practice. Try something with both the carb (the bagel) and protein (bacon or almonds). The protein is the most important part. The carbs will break down to quickly into sugars and give a "sugar rush" from what I understand and that will throw her system out of balance - vomiting or dizziness and upset stomach. Protein is great before practice even is she's not hypo-glycemic, so you can't go wrong there.

I'd consult a Dr and have them check her for hypo-glycemia if this persists. And have a talk with her coach and explain that your dd needs a protein break, even if it's only a 10 min break in order to have a 1/2 dozen almonds and a yogurt. They can't refuse, especially if you have an MD to back you up on the issue.

Good luck

If she's sweating, even if she looks like she should be hydrated (because of water breaks), she could be throwing her electrolytes off. Low sodium feels pretty awful, even if you're technically 'hydrated'.

Bananas, bananas, bananas! Put a couple in her gym bag or a little zip bag and just get her to have a mouthfull after every event, like you see the tennis players do, and it should give her enough energy to keep going without being too heavy on her tum.

My daughter has morning practices and isn't a morning person. She isn't ready to be UP and certainly doesn't want to eat before practice, but I make her. I get her input on things she could eat. Sometimes it is a smally smoothy (I use milk, yogurt, fruit and a little vanilla Carnation Instant Breakfast), sometimes it is a Nutrigrain bar and glass of milk, just depends on what her mood is. Carnation instant breakfast shakes are yummy, too. If she could eat during practice, it might work, have a shake in the morning and eat something more during practice. Even if it is a pb&j sandwich cut into bitesized pieces she can run and grab.

She usually snacks on some nuts or seeds in the car on the way or eats Yogurt. She has to eat or I don't take her to practice, it is that simple. I also have her start to drink some of her water in the car on the way.

We realized the first week of practice that she HAS to eat during practice because though she eats breakfast, it isn't enough to hold her the whole practice. Her coaches noticed that first week that she wasn't herself (crying for no reason, etc) and approached me. I pack her a lunch and she is now fine. She eats it during her break and it has helped a ton. And she still comes out of a 3 1/2 hour practice hungry, my kid that doesn't eat a lot! She eats a whole sandwich (usually ham, turkey or pb&j) and some fruit (I tend to send frozen blueberries or sliced apples).

I would talk to her coaches. I don't think it is the food making her ill, probably lack of and dehydration. And with Abby, I told her that when I pick her up, her water bottle should be empty or she didn't drink enough during practice. She is always proud to show me her empty water bottle.

Good luck. Hopefully the heat will get better. It won't here, but the kids are used to it.

If she's sweating, even if she looks like she should be hydrated (because of water breaks), she could be throwing her electrolytes off. Low sodium feels pretty awful, even if you're technically 'hydrated'.
I agree! During the summer I always bring a Gatorade to practice and take a couple sips from it every few water breaks. It helps a lot!

You can try to freeze some fruit with high water content and send them with her, even as they defrost. Or send them in a thermos. We used to always eat frozen grapes - we had a freezer in the gym and most of us kept frozen fruit in it in the summer. Even if there's no break I'm sure she can eat some grapes with her water. We don't give an official snack break during ~4hr practice (if it goes to 5 I would...4.5 probably for younger ones) but I let them have two minute breaks for water and they can grab a snack then, I'm not going to freak out.

I agree! During the summer I always bring a Gatorade to practice and take a couple sips from it every few water breaks. It helps a lot!

They say those sport drinks aren't good for kids. We usually will do lots and lots of water with some salty snacks (pretzels, chips etc) anything to get the salt replenished.

I know for my DD she is not a breakfast person. She eats maybe 2 mini muffins and that is about it. So morning is a mulitvitimin along with what ever food she will eat. But she hates doing anything with a full tummy. So lots of little meals/snacks. Then lots of water with salty snacks and yes banana to keep that potassium up too. that usually will do the trick for her.

I am and have been a runner for years. I have run in all kinds of weather and temperatures. I have also run with different people. Here's what I have learned. Not all people can handle running in extreme heat, while others can. Some people sweat significantly more and so if they drank the same amount of water as everyone else they may become dehydrated. The problem with summer weather is heat and humidity. Running when both are extreme can be very dangerous. In this kind of weather, I don't recommend running in the middle of the day outdoors.

Not sure if these kids are expected to run outdoors, but rule of them in this heat is to scale back to about 60% normal intensity level - that means 60% of typical speed/pace and 60% of time or distance one might run when running in the sun. Indoors may be a little more tolerable environment b/c there is no sun, but I still recommend the kids jog slowly and run shorter time or distance.

Daughter did better today it was less hot and she says she drank more. She also told me she paced herself and did not try to be the first in line. Thanks for all the advice. I do think that the heat and humdity plays a large part in her not being able to handle the running. She never feels sick at practice in the winter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back