WAG FIG floor music rule

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Turk

Gymnast
FIG rules say you can't have "Disney" music for your routine. Marvel is owned by Disney - does the music from The Avengers, Iron Man etc. count? I couldn't find anything, except an Avengers theme cut for floor music use on YouTube and someone else saying they'd used it without issue.

Since my last post, I've found a proper gymnastics floor music site selling one of the Avengers themes as being suitable for JO, so I guess it's okay? If anyone knows better, do let me know. :)

Since my last post, I've found a proper gymnastics floor music site selling one of the Avengers themes as being suitable for JO, so I guess it's okay? If anyone knows better, do let me know. :)

The UK rules for music are different from USA so don't go with something touted as suitable for JO as that is American. They can use Disney to their hearts content. Contact BG if you are unsure for advice. However while I think people may not make the connection for the Marvel stuff as being Disney owned so you may get away with it. Especially if it is for an adult comp.

Thanks, I've emailed them now. I know it'll be fine for the competition I want to use it for - there was even an Andrew Lloyd Webber one that got through just fine there, and that's a blatant not-allowed - but I'm just thinking about future competitions where I might not be able to use it. I know I've never competed the same routine twice, but you just know that if I wanted to use this one again, it would end up not being allowed! :p

@Turk be careful. Over in North America we can use any music we want, so JO music sites will not be useful for you in the UK without you knowing the UK rules.

something to do with the public playing agreement arranged for music with BG. It doesn't cover cirque, ALW and Disney. I am not sorry really lol.

Gosh, me too. I have a cringey image of my head of over-hammed interpretations of everything from Frozen to Phantom of the Opera.

Though I have witnessed floor routines to music from computer games which are by no means better.

@bogwoppit Thanks, I've emailed BG just in case I want to use this music in the future, but I'll be fine for this comp at least.

Actually, I'll definitely be safe at the competition I'm thinking of, just remembered thanks to @stillgotmyleotard that someone used Frozen last time and didn't have any problems ;)

Update: good news! The woman from BG emailed back to tell me how to search for myself to see if there's permission to use any track I might choose, so I can always find out in future, and the music I'm using is acceptable. Yay! :D

@Turk | You should share this resource, as long as it's allowed to be public knowledge. I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who would love to know this information!

I'm glad you were able to find out, and that it worked out for you.

http://www.ppluk.com/ and go to "PPL Repertoire Search" at the bottom. As it happens, the routine I used last time wasn't on there. I was surprised, it's not anything there should have been an issue with! There's nothing from that film's score on there at all. All my more obscure music from before that was fine, though. How strange!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back