Parents first injury-hoping it's nothing major

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has what looks to be her first gymnastics injury. She somehow injured her foot landing in the pit. Not sure how that happens.

She did this yesterday and seemed fine but was in a bit more pain today so we took her to the ER. After an x-ray they sent her home in a splint with crutches. We have been instructed to follow up with an orthopedic doctor on Monday. The ER doctor said something about "open growth plates" that can't be seen on an x-ray. Is it possible she fractured a growth plate?

Nothing is broken so it's just a considered a sprain for now. Ice, motrin and rest are in the plans for tomorrow. She's a terrible patient and of course thinks the crutches are fun and exciting! Ugh.

I hope it isn't too serious and she makes a quick recovery. And tell her not to have too much fun with those crutches!

Er Drs are always super careful when it comes to athletes. That's why they are sending you to the ortho, which is a good idea. We usually just head straight there now, to saving the ER time and expense. (find an ortho in you're area that has urgent care hours now, for the next injury or overuse condition).

It could be a number of things including the growth plate. It could just be a very mild pulling of the tendons/ligaments. Just follow ER directions until you see the ortho.

Er Drs are always super careful when it comes to athletes. That's why they are sending you to the ortho, which is a good idea. We usually just head straight there now, to saving the ER time and expense. (find an ortho in you're area that has urgent care hours now, for the next injury or overuse condition).

We do the same, after finding that the urgent care places were essentially just taking a copay for wrapping stuff in a splint and telling us to go to an ortho the next day. Unless we're concerned that there is eminent danger, we're not going to the ER - that's never worked out well for us.

Try to find a ortho that has a children's practice. They'll have the expertise to shoot the right picture and diagnose correctly.

We are going through the same thing. Basically, there is a good chance that they can't pick up on a break in the growth plate. Therefore, they take new x-rays after 10 days and if they see new bone growth they know that there was a break. If it was a break they will most likely keep it immobilized for an extra amount of time. If needed, have the doctor write a prescription for physical therapy. Good luck!

Just be prepared though because a bad sprain can take longer to heal than a break. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. Tell your dd to do exactly what the PT says and not to come back too early or she will reaggrevate the ankle and delay the healing process.

So after 3 weeks of PT they sent her for an MRI to check the growth plate. We don't see the doctor until Monday. I did pick up the disc and read the findings. I'm certainly not a doctor but it looks like there isn't a fracture but they can't completely rule it out either. PT thinks it's just a bad bruise. Dd is freaking out because she things they will put her in a cast or a boot on Monday. Ugh. I wish they just did the MRI when it happened.

So after 3 weeks of PT they sent her for an MRI to check the growth plate. We don't see the doctor until Monday. I did pick up the disc and read the findings. I'm certainly not a doctor but it looks like there isn't a fracture but they can't completely rule it out either. PT thinks it's just a bad bruise. Dd is freaking out because she things they will put her in a cast or a boot on Monday. Ugh. I wish they just did the MRI when it happened.

sounds positive. it's better they waited for the MRI. fractures at the growth plate are very difficult to diagnose and the longer the time frame from the injury it is the more reliable the diagnosis. Something to do with the healing process, I think. It has been awhile since we were in that predicament. Lets hope it is just a bruise. If so, your dd should be back to training really soon

Well, she is in a cast for 3 weeks. It has nothing to do with a growth plate.

She injured the talus bone. They can't see a fracture but it could still be there. It could just a bruise but felt it was best to be safe. Needless to say she is miserable. Any tips to get to Sept. 10th are appreciated!

Aww! Poor kid, she called it though. ;-) Keep her occupied and busy til it comes off. Most gymnasts seem to have a ton of energy, and I see a big difference when my DD doesn't get her weekly gym time. Maybe plan a few days of some special mother/daughter time, give her something to look forward to. Having some of her gym friends over to visit might help too, so she doesn't feel left out over the next few weeks. Or take her in to say hi to everybody. As much as my little one loves gymnastics, sometimes I think she loves the people at the gym more. So not seeing her buddies for a few weeks would be just as hard as not doing gym for 3 weeks. Good luck, hope it goes by fast!

Well she's been going to practice to condition which has been helpful and keeping her busy. School starts Tuesday and she should have it off the 10th.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back