Parents First Injury - so frustrating!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BachFlyer

Proud Parent
Just an injury venting post! My dd broke her foot about a month ago. This is her first injury and it was such a bummer to get the news, but the doc was optimistic and said he thought about 4 weeks in a boot and she could transition out of it. Just got the report from the doctor yesterday that the break was worse than he thought and she needs at least 3 more weeks on crutches. So it looks like she'll be out for most of the season, maybe back for States but who knows how long it will take to be back to full skills with all the time out. She is taking it in stride, just bored, and I am very proud of her poise. Today she went to her first "sidelined" meet with some friends and I'm so glad she felt like going, because I know it must be hard to sit and watch. I'm sitting at home feeling so sad to be missing the season! I love watching the girls compete, and seeing them "do their thing" and celebrating the accomplishments. On top of that, she just switched gyms in October. It was a needed, but tough, move - she is 11, L9 and was ready to join a team with a bigger upper level group but sad to leave her friends. So on top of having to watch my girl be bored and frustrated, I am extra bummed because I was really excited to see what this new gym would bring for her, and excited for meet season so we could all start feeling like part of the new team (hey, changing gyms is hard on spectators too)!! I know she'll be back in the game soon enough, but it's just a big let down. :( Guess that's gymnastics for ya, huh? Never a dull moment.

Bummer! Glad she's going to the meets and cheering on her new teammates though! If you can, I'd go and watch too, if I were you--gotta make friends yourself there, right :) (speaks a person who loves her fellow gym parents!)

Thanks. I would have gone too but my youngest had something important today so I couldn't make it - I would have missed the meet had she competed anyway! I guess it was this first meet out that spurred me into feeling bad for her that she will have to sit most of the season out just when she was getting situated, and learning some new skills, and was sad to know we'd miss getting to see her compete! It could be worse I am sure :)

So sorry. It is a bummer. We are right there with you. My dd was all excited to compete L8 and she fractured her ankle in October. Thought she would be good to go much earlier, but it ended up taking longer to heal and now to get her skills back. We went yesterday to cheer her teammates on at a meet and she missed our home meet in December. She is signed up for the next meet in 2 weeks though, so we are hoping she will be ready with at least her minimum skills. It is a bummer though, because with all the training time lost she feels like she is "barely L8" rather than "rocking L8" which she had hoped to do! It is just the way it goes....

Took me forever to find a few minutes to respond. My girl got her boot off a few days ago, but judging my the size of her scrawny leg, it will be several weeks before she's tumbling and several more before she's ready to compete again! Gymtigermom, I sure hope your daughter was able to compete in the last meet! How did it go?

Glad she got her boot off and that she can start working again! My dd did get to compete. I was very proud of her hard work pushing through some fear issues. She had not done her layout flyaway out of a giant since September and did not do without a spot until 2 practices before the meet. She did it in the meet but did fall on the landing. She also did her BHS series so that was good! She is frustrated with her tumbling on floor though as floor was her best event last year and now she is struggling with it. She also grew 2 inches. But, she IS competing and making progress every day. She really wants to make L8 regionals, so we will see how much more progress she can make in the next 6 weeks. If not there is always next year, right?
Let us know how it goes with your daughter!

Growing and an injury are difficult things separately and together is that much tougher! Congrats to your daughter on overcoming her fears on the flyaway!

gymtigermom - glad you DD is back in the swing of things - I hope that she makes her goal of regionals! The frustration can definitely be tough to deal with, but that's what makes these girls so amazing though...they just keep pushing even when it's hard. They are SO mentally strong, huh? Way more than me, that's for sure!!! My dd is competing bars this weekend for the first time, although skipping the double back dismount. So we're pretty happy about that. She's not ready for anything else, and hasn't done any tumbling on floor or any vaulting at all. But hoping that by States in two weeks she will be able to compete beam, and she is eligible for an injury petition into Regionals so we shall see. Good luck on the rest of the season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back