Parents Flexibility/working on getting splits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello,

My little boy who is 8 is struggling with flexibility - mainly in his legs/hips. He is a strong tumbler for his age and has been in a competitive squad for a few months now. He is really keen to increase his flexibility but, his current stretch regime isn’t helping. He’s asked me for help but, I’m clueless (definitely new to the world of gymnastics). Does anyone have any tips or tricks, favourite stretches your little ones liked to help him achieve this? His wee legs are just so tight despite stretching every day.
Thank you

Hello,

My little boy who is 8 is struggling with flexibility - mainly in his legs/hips. He is a strong tumbler for his age and has been in a competitive squad for a few months now. He is really keen to increase his flexibility but, his current stretch regime isn’t helping. He’s asked me for help but, I’m clueless (definitely new to the world of gymnastics). Does anyone have any tips or tricks, favourite stretches your little ones liked to help him achieve this? His wee legs are just so tight despite stretching every day.
Thank you

Hello,

Thank you
I found sitting in splits for short bursts helpful. So first I warm up sitting in straddle and stretch down to each foot a few times with both hands.
Then I go into splits and hold each way for two seconds each time. So hold left split for two seconds. Rest for a couple of seconds then go into right leg split. Rest a couple of seconds then box split. I then repeat the whole process for 4 seconds, then 6 seconds and so on till i’m holding splits for 10 seconds. I found sitting in splits for long periods unhelpful at first. Once I got close down to the floor I held them for longer 20-30 seconds. I hope this makes sense .
It took me 8 months to get right leg split, 12 to get left leg and 14 to get box.

I found sitting in splits for short bursts helpful. So first I warm up sitting in straddle and stretch down to each foot a few times with both hands.
Then I go into splits and hold each way for two seconds each time. So hold left split for two seconds. Rest for a couple of seconds then go into right leg split. Rest a couple of seconds then box split. I then repeat the whole process for 4 seconds, then 6 seconds and so on till i’m holding splits for 10 seconds. I found sitting in splits for long periods unhelpful at first. Once I got close down to the floor I held them for longer 20-30 seconds. I hope this makes sense .
It took me 8 months to get right leg split, 12 to get left leg and 14 to get box.
Thank you so much for sharing, I’ll pass this on to him and we will give this a try :)

There is an app called "Splits Training" or "30-day splits", which he could try if you don't mind him using an app. Each day it guides you through a series of progressively deeper stretches for the legs and hips. The beginner level starts at around 15 min, Intermediate level is around 20-25 min, and advanced is 25-30. My daughters and I have found it very helpful.

There is an app called "Splits Training" or "30-day splits", which he could try if you don't mind him using an app. Each day it guides you through a series of progressively deeper stretches for the legs and hips. The beginner level starts at around 15 min, Intermediate level is around 20-25 min, and advanced is 25-30. My daughters and I have found it very helpful.
Oh I will definitely take a look! Thank you :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back