MAG Flexibility

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, D is starting to notice decreasing flexibility in his shoulders mainly, but overall really. He has one side splits but not the other. He has his middle splits most of the time, and an oversplit on one side. But his shoulder flexibility is the big one, starting to kill him on rings!

He has asked me for stretches, and I plan to mention it to his coaches this week. But I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas for him!

Starting to notice decreasing flexibility? What's up with that, did he just turn 50?

I jest because it seems odd that he'd notice a decrease in flexibility......unless he's turned a lot of attention to increasing strength, and neglected to put a bit extra time on flexibility......or......

He may be doing strength exercises with an abbreviated range of motion, and is building his muscles into a wad of tight please don't stretch me bundle of tissue.

All strength exercises need to be done in as complete a motion as reasonable. If that's already taking place, then more time and more specific exercises are in order. Type shoulder flexibility in the search box at the top of this page. If you find any written by me, ahem...well....I'd recommend them heartily, as they were written by somebody who spent a lot of time swinging rings.

LOL!!! Thanks :) It is mainly rings where he sees it. He used to be able to do that hang thingie almost straight, and now it is very piked. He is putting on some muscle in his upper body, nothing too bad, but we have noticed. Plus, he loves strength moves, and no so much flexibility stuff.

Thanks! Will search :)

Interesting -- my son's shoulder flexibility has decreased some too, but I think his coach sees this as not a bad thing for him. He used to do this really creepy thing with his arms, almost like using them as a jump rope, and he used to be able to stretch his arms straight out over his head behind him while lying down on his back with his palms on the floor and then put his head down on the floor. Now he can't get his head all the way down. I think his coach was concerned that he was so flexible that he might be at risk for dislocations. He still has a straight German hang, so I assume it's not a problem?

Starting to notice decreasing flexibility? What's up with that, did he just turn 50?

I jest because it seems odd that he'd notice a decrease in flexibility......unless he's turned a lot of attention to increasing strength, and neglected to put a bit extra time on flexibility......or......

Is it possible for a growth spurt to be associated with a decrease in flexibility?

as he is working on ring strength, he should be doing german hang/skin the cats in his warmup besides spotted hanging inlocates.

other stuff like rope/stick/band dislocates, external rotation stuff, stall bar cat stretch with feet piked on rails

boys flexibility is a constant work in progress. don't be concerned.

Thanks everyone. He is doing lots of those rings exercises. I think he dials them in though.....as 10 year olds will do! (And from what I see, pretty much any boy in double digits from time to time!) He'll get it....as soon as his brain catches up. Thanks again! we have ideas to give him when he asks now!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back