WAG Flight skill for level 7 beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
What skills qualify for the special requirement "acro flight" skill in level 7 beam, aside from BHS? Thanks!

It's a cartwheel where you get some "air time" between leaving your feet and putting your hands down. Picture a dive roll - similar concept to a dive cartwheel. I've never seen one done for L7 though.

We have a L7 that does a dive cartwheel. We used to have others that did them too. It is a good option for some girls :)

If the backsault is a back tuck you can't do that in L7. It is a C skill. You could do it in L8 as your one allowable C skill. Not sure what a corbut is.

Yes, I've seen it before too, and like you, no one around here usually competes it.

To me, I'd rather do the BHS for the same point level (consider that term "rather do" loosely, I would NEVER do anything on a beam ;)) or figure out a BLO or BT as a C.

One question: What's your issue with BHS? Is it a fear thing of going backwards or is it the hand position or an injury of some sort? Because if its any of those, then Korbut probably won't work too well for you. If you just don't have a BHS, work reallllly reallllly hard on it bc ur probably going to need it eventually. I'm a region one girl and we have some seriously intense competition here and I've honestly never seen anything other than a BHS BHS/BWO BHS get high scores. Cartwheel roundoff seems really hard to connect and FWO FHS doesn't get the flight value often. Good luck!

[QUOTE="HannahGS, post: 318246, member: 17232 I'm a region one girl and we have some seriously intense competition here and I've honestly never seen anything other than a BHS BHS/BWO BHS get high scores.![/QUOTE]
My friend's DD won region one AA and won or placed high on beam ( cant recall) with BWO-BWO. She did BHS separately. She could do the BWO-BHS connection but took it out for regionals and she won!

A Korbut..... Here's a link. Not awesome form but you'll get the drift. I think it's a B....

Oh yes, I have seen that, although not very frequently. I think it could be a good alternative for my DD. She struggles with BHS on beam and if it isn't ready by the time competition starts, I just wanted to know what options she has. Mind you, our coaches would probably never allow her to do anything else, but we shall see. :) Thanks!

Is her struggle landing it with her feet? Because otherwise, it's a back handspring with a different landing......

One question: What's your issue with BHS? Is it a fear thing of going backwards or is it the hand position or an injury of some sort? Because if its any of those, then Korbut probably won't work too well for you. If you just don't have a BHS, work reallllly reallllly hard on it bc ur probably going to need it eventually. I'm a region one girl and we have some seriously intense competition here and I've honestly never seen anything other than a BHS BHS/BWO BHS get high scores. Cartwheel roundoff seems really hard to connect and FWO FHS doesn't get the flight value often. Good luck!
I tell girls at my gym not to go forwards and to defiantly learn a back handspring cause I become harder to add at a point

Is her struggle landing it with her feet? Because otherwise, it's a back handspring with a different landing......
Yes, sort of. Long story, but she doesn't block off her hands well enough, so she seems to lose a lot of power in the second half of the BHS. This results in feet getting on only 50% of the time becasue her torso comes up slowly. I do think the the Korbut would work perfectly, so we may have to try to convince her coaches to let her compete that if the BHS isn't there by competition. And she continues to train the BHS for when it is ready.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back