WAG Flipping wrists on kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Too low or should this work? I really appreciate your help!
20140702_140409.jpg

yes! sorry, i should have known that you would probably have a mat to put under there...stooopid me. you have a bar...why not the mat too?! LOL.

try that, it should work. :)

oh, and also, that looks like plumbing pipe. get her some chalk. i'm sure the gym will give you a block. :)

We've got chalk too! lol shes taking the day off to rest her poor tender hands! Hopefully I can post a new video soon!

if you have some of those 'thin' leather gloves, or gloves like they use in golf, they work really well. it'll save her hands. this is in lieu of making her tape grips if neither of you know how to do that.

Thats a great idea! Her aunt is a NCAA national champion from LSU. she wants to work with dd, but this metal bar was not made for kips! Maybe I can get gloves and I can quit having privates! As of now DD cant do more than a few practice swings on it, before her hands hurt. This bar was suppose to be for strength/conditioning.

It didn't really look like she lacked core strength. Has she ever tried a run out glide (running kip)? Focus on snapping toenails to the bar and pulling shoulders up over the bar so she doesn't hit her face.

I am not sure what a running kip is! Off to google and you tube it! thanks
It didn't really look like she lacked core strength. Has she ever tried a run out glide (running kip)? Focus on snapping toenails to the bar and pulling shoulders up over the bar so she doesn't hit her face.

Ok thanks for all the wonderful advice! she has been working on putting it all into action. here is where she is at today!
Coach told her again today that she doesnt want it enough and provided no corrections. We really love this coach and i am not sure what he is thinking!!!

Wow she is really close. What helped me is to think that you're throwing your body over the bar (or some people think that you're throwing your head against the wall.)

From what I see in that second video she is closing her shoulder angle a little (moving her arms away from her ears) during the pike motion to the bar. I also think she could do the pulling motion faster and more aggressively to rapidly transition her to above the bar. If she isn't able to do it faster, she needs to condition the motion more so she is stronger and more efficient at pulling.

wonderful advice that she and i were able to understand! thank you!
From what I see in that second video she is closing her shoulder angle a little (moving her arms away from her ears) during the pike motion to the bar. I also think she could do the pulling motion faster and more aggressively to rapidly transition her to above the bar. If she isn't able to do it faster, she needs to condition the motion more so she is stronger and more efficient at pulling.

Definitely beginning to understand the frustration with kips with my DD too!! She is sooooo close! Close enough the coach uses only a finger or two on her back to spot it and she can get it--- no finger there, no kip... It's likely the only thing that would prevent her from competing level 4 this fall...

Well at least there is a couple months of summer practice yet to get the dreaded kip!! Good luck to your DD and I hope that both of our girls get it sooner than later ;)

And - I've enjoyed the advice in this thread!

Yes, we are in tje same boat! we only have 3 more weeks of summer training and my dd is feeling the preassure! This kip is the only thing holding us back too! she was a level 2 last year, got a 9.9 on bars at state last year and now she cant seem to get this skill! Good luck to your dd on her kip and hopefully on a wonderful level 4 season!
Definitely beginning to understand the frustration with kips with my DD too!! She is sooooo close! Close enough the coach uses only a finger or two on her back to spot it and she can get it--- no finge
r there, no kip... It's likely the only thing that would prevent her from competing level 4 this fall...

Well at least there is a couple months of summer practice yet to get the dreaded kip!! Good luck to your DD and I hope that both of our girls get it sooner than later ;)

And - I've enjoyed the advice in this thread!

okay...can you now make the front of the bar on the ground the same height as the height she is jumping from? each side must be level or she will tighten her hip flexors in order stop her legs from 'dropping' which you can see her do on the video on the glide portion.

next, simply tell her to bring her 'ankles' to the bar. do not 'pull' them to the bar...just bring them to the bar. and not her shins. and DO NOT attempt the kipping action until she is in a pike, ankles to the bar and her hips just slightly in front of the bar or bottom.

and if that is the best input the coach can give...tell them to put a sock in it. :)

yes, Aero. her arm angle closes cause she is tightening up to make sure her legs don't drop diwn in the front of the glide. the 'floor' needs to be level.

and folks, it's not 'pulling'. it's a rocking/pendulum pushing motion. the transition to the above the bar is accomplished by telling them to elevate their shoulders or try to hit their head on the high bar.

Ahhhh! even at gym the floor is uneven because they are jumping from a mat into their glide swing. A different coach said she was dropping her feet at the end of her glide due to "lack of core strength". I am so greatful for the new insightful advice we have recieved here! I might add ahe complains frequently about her left hip flexor!
okay...can you now make the front of the bar on the ground the same height as the height she is jumping from? each side must be level or she will tighten her hip flexors in order stop her legs from 'dropping' which you can see her do on the video on the glide portion.

next, simply tell her to bring her 'ankles' to the bar. do not 'pull' them to the bar...just bring them to the bar. and not her shins. and DO NOT attempt the kipping action until she is in a pike, ankles to the bar and her hips just slightly in front of the bar or bottom.

and if that is the best input the coach can give...tell them to put a sock in it. :)

and now you know why. there needs to be a mat level with the jumping mat in front of the low bar.

I am working on getting a constitent kip myself, but this is what I notice. She is pretty piked in the begining of the glide. Also, something my coach tells me is to look at my toes. It helps you not throw your head back and I think helps get your chest over the bar. Again, I am working on getting a constitent kip myself so this adveice is purely from my own experience and from what my coaches have told me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back