WAG Floor music - overused? (overwhelmed!!!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
We don't go to many optional meets, so I have no clue what's flooding the meets, or might be good for DD (she will be either XcelGold or L6)
She is not one of the kind of girls that I can picture doing 5 straddle leaps in a row (I know that wouldn't happen anyway, but I'm trying to set the stage for her. She's decent, the current L4 music seems to suit her)

Can anyone tell me if the following current songs are showing up everywhere? or if you've been on the scene for a while, would you expect them to next season (I don't know the incubation period)

Shake it off
Uptown Funk
Problem (Ariana Grande)
All about that bass
Roar

(I really like "Stuck Like Glue" (country), but I don't know if I could get her there.)

She has been talking for months about using Christmas Eve at Sarajevo. I have found a couple different versions, one that I really like, but does anyone use Christmas music all year??

Thank you!

I agree with Bog. I think it's so much better to get something that isn't going to age so quickly.

I don't know the names of songs that I hear over and over but I recognize them when I hear them. Obviously Pirates is very common. there is another one that a lot of the littles do that almost sounds like a clockmaker working in a factory that I've heard at least twice at each meet.

At our last meet, I was surprised to hear my DD's music since I'd never heard anyone use it before. And for her last optional routine, I thought I would hear her music everywhere but never did.

I would just remember that no matter what you pick, you'll be sick of it at the end of the year and then might have yet another whole season you have to endure it! LOL I loved DD's music at the beginning of the year and even though we are only halfway through, I find that I'm not as excited about it as I used to be.

I prefer more classical music, so DD is using a piano guys song (We love them) and we just paid to have it cut from 4 min to 1:30 (for L7). THat way no one else would have her exact music. The one she picked was a combo of vivaldi winter and let it go (she is 11)
It has some ballerina dinty parts and some heavier parts so she can show off her dance background a bit

I agree that pop songs get old very quickly! I personally don't have an issue with using that Trans Siberian Orchestra song, even though it's Christmas-y. Trans Siberian Orchestra can be popular though.

Thank you everyone!!!!

I've been swayed :)

We've been told they will use this music for two years, so yes, she and I had better like it!

I found a couple that I'm liking.
I'm thinking that Christmas Eve (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) might too powerful for my daughter. That's the one she's wanted for a long time, so I just sent the link to the coach to get her opinion on the power-factor.

Thank you for the input!

I emailed the coach and asked if TSO Christmas Eve would be too powerful for my daughter. I kind of expected a resounding "Um, yes".
She said that we've just recently had it in our gym, and she wouldn't want it back so soon (that's nice and polite ;) )
But she also added that she should have something more classical, elegant. That she has a lot of presence and she should take advantage of it.

That made me feel good.

Back to the drawing board.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Reactions: sce
I agree with Bog. I think it's so much better to get something that isn't going to age so quickly.

I don't know the names of songs that I hear over and over but I recognize them when I hear them. Obviously Pirates is very common. there is another one that a lot of the littles do that almost sounds like a clockmaker working in a factory that I've heard at least twice at each meet.

At our last meet, I was surprised to hear my DD's music since I'd never heard anyone use it before. And for her last optional routine, I thought I would hear her music everywhere but never did.

I would just remember that no matter what you pick, you'll be sick of it at the end of the year and then might have yet another whole season you have to endure it! LOL I loved DD's music at the beginning of the year and even though we are only halfway through, I find that I'm not as excited about it as I used to be.
Lol, OG's first year at Xcel Gold, she had a Linkin Park mix (because what she had, other girls had and she wanted to be different... and we didn't hear anyone else with it at our meets) ... she competed with it for 3 meets, and 2 weeks before YMCA Nationals, she decided she wanted different music because she was tired of it - She chose a Rihanna mix. It took several days to get a copy of the music that worked on the system at the gym, so she had 1 day to practice WITH her music before leaving for Savannah. We didn't hear either of her music choices in our session (and HC said she didn't hear it in our L7 session either), so they both worked out.

Whatever you choose, SHE has to love it. If not, she will not put as much into it and the judges can tell.

I was thinking, although I think our coach picks ( and does a good job), that I would like some kind of spy music. Of course my daughter had no input, so the chances of me picking it and the coach and my daughter liking it are pretty slim. I liked songs from the Incredibles and Spy Kids. I was also thinking Lindsey Stirling would be nice too. At the meet we went to this past weekend I didn't hear any optionals use this music ( we were only there for L7) but I heard these songs or something similar during the xcel session several times. I think it's best to let the coach decide as she will know what will reflect your daughter's style and show off her skills the best. Do you have that option?

I'm pretty sure our girls pick a few favorites, and the coach helps from there. I know my daughter would be upset if she had no input at all. But she's young too. Do you know how many times I've heard " I want this for my floor music"?? It's currently something called Clowns Around Town?

I really love seeing girls with Cirque du Soleil music, especially if they can show off flexibility or have great leaps. I don't know what its like in the States, but in all my years of competing and coaching, I've never heard a pop song as floor music.

I really really like puttin on the pizzazz from floor express. My friend had a terrible go with floor music and this is the one she chose. Haven't heard it at competitions either!!!

We actually this year have:
Hit the Road Jack, Do You Wanna Build a Snowman, Jump in the Line (Shake Senora), The Ohio State University Fight Song, The Theme to Monday Night Football, a Disney "Be Our Guest" Medley, and Violin Dubstep as half of our optional Floor Musics.

We actually this year have:
Hit the Road Jack, Do You Wanna Build a Snowman, Jump in the Line (Shake Senora), The Ohio State University Fight Song, The Theme to Monday Night Football, a Disney "Be Our Guest" Medley, and Violin Dubstep as half of our optional Floor Musics.

I love the variety!!!

We were listening to some classical pieces last night, and DD stopped one and said "THIS, I LOVE!!" It was one I really liked too :)
She said it wasn't necessarily her first choice, as she wanted to listen to her previous list first. But something tells me it will be. We both, simultaneously, agree that it really suits her.

Thank you so much for all the input!

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend pop music bc after a couple months it becomes "dated". Stick with something classical-y but still unique. For example, my floor music is from "Amelie" and is dance-y and balletic without (hopefully) being boring and overused.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back