WAG Flyaways

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Backwalkovers are now coming along well, but a new problem has shown up. I had my flyaway on high bar fine in December. When the optional competition season started, I had to do them on high pit bar with a mat underneath because the optionals were on my setting bar. They were layout flyaways, but they were pikey so the head coach (who does not coach us) told me to switch to tuck flyaways so that I will not get a deduction. The first few weeks of tuck flyaways went really well and my flyaway looked better than ever. However, I went into the gym about two weeks ago and went to do my flyaway and pulled in a bunch. So, I got scared and asked my coach to spot me in the low pit trench bar. I went for the flyaway but let go super late and tucked into the bar and hit my toes. Ever since then I will not go for my flyaway even with spot because I am scared that I will tuck and pull in again. I know that I can just switch back to layouts, but I am even scared to do those. I will do a flat back, but not go to flip. Any ideas for how not to pull in or drills I can do while I am at home (I have a mat and beam but no bar). Thanks everyone hopefully I will just go for it and all will be ok!

You were doing just fine until you "pulled in a bunch" and now you'e spending your time trying to fix a fly away that had nothing wrong with it until you made that first mistake. Geez, two weeks without a mistake is petty decent, and you need not make another one if you'd just concentrate on doing them the way you were the first two weeks.

Really stop trying to fix it, because the only thing broken is your confidence. That's something you can fix by deciding you are good enough, and undersanding that learning is a process that includes mistakes.

Backwalkovers are now coming along well, but a new problem has shown up. I had my flyaway on high bar fine in December. When the optional competition season started, I had to do them on high pit bar with a mat underneath because the optionals were on my setting bar. They were layout flyaways, but they were pikey so the head coach (who does not coach us) told me to switch to tuck flyaways so that I will not get a deduction. The first few weeks of tuck flyaways went really well and my flyaway looked better than ever. However, I went into the gym about two weeks ago and went to do my flyaway and pulled in a bunch. So, I got scared and asked my coach to spot me in the low pit trench bar. I went for the flyaway but let go super late and tucked into the bar and hit my toes. Ever since then I will not go for my flyaway even with spot because I am scared that I will tuck and pull in again. I know that I can just switch back to layouts, but I am even scared to do those. I will do a flat back, but not go to flip. Any ideas for how not to pull in or drills I can do while I am at home (I have a mat and beam but no bar). Thanks everyone hopefully I will just go for it and all will be ok!
===
Stop trying to do flyaways, and do layout timers instead..

This happens to me every week on and off. My coach has what he calls the fishing rod it's a wooden pole with a rope tied to the end with a big piece of foam tied onto the other end of the rope. He holds it where my tap swings should be and when my feet touch the foam I simply let go and tuck my legs. This is how I got my confidence up because I was pulling in too much and was scared... Just thought I might share something that helped me :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back