WAG Front Walkover Advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TKing_1910

Gymnast
Hiii,

I recently did a wonky front walkover and wanted to know what I could do better and any tips you have?

(Also I posted this in WAG because I’m pretty sure walkovers are mainly skills that women gymnasts learn but that’s the side I’m more interested in…)

Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_0407.mov
    8.5 MB
I’m not an expert of front walkovers but I have a pretty solid one. I’d say try not to stop in the handstand so you can get more power when going out of the bridge. Also, try to squeeze all your muscles as tight as you can.

I see that you are lifting your head early and dropping your arms. I froze your video where this is most noticeable, but it starts as soon as you start standing up from your walk over. When you do a front walk over, you should press your hips forward, then let the rest of your upper body follow your hips in a tight stretched position: arms straight and squeezing the ears, and neck elongated looking at the hands.

The mistake you are doing is very common because most people instinctively want to lift their head to see where they are going. You need to ignore that instinct! A front walkover has a “blind” landing which means the head is one of the last body parts that should rise as you stand up from the front walkover.

I would recommend working on your front limbers with correct head and arm position. I see that you are lacking a bit of flexibility that is preventing you from executing the skill efficiently. Good luck!
8B982E4E-40CA-499E-8BA1-40155A5FCFA8.jpeg

Thank you so much for your reply! That makes a lot of sense as to why sometimes I collapse because if I’m dropping my arms and lifting my head early then I flatten and lose momentum. When you say flexibility do you mean back or in my splits? The weird thing is I can do over splits on both my sides but can’t split them in the air! I guess it’s a strength thing to be able to part them.

When you say flexibility do you mean back or in my splits?
To clarify, I think you could benefit from working on your shoulder and back flexibility. As you pass through your handstand, I see that your shoulders are slightly closed, and then your foot lands slightly far away from your hands when you land. These are all signs that you might be lacking a little bit of bridge flexibility, which would greatly help your front walkover. If you work on your bridge a little bit every day (back bends, front limbers, tick-ticks, etc.) you’ll probably notice your front walkover improving as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back