Fronthandspring vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a level 7 who has AWESOME body shapes on vault, but she literally stops when she hits the vault and there is no block off of it.

She ends up on the far side of the vault, but it doesnt seem like she is leaning in on the board. No pike. Her arms are up by her ears (no broken shoulder angle) and she has a tight body with tight shoulders. She is ready for the block but it just doesn't happen.

Is it in the entry onto the vault, the run? I will try and post a video, but she doesn't come again til Tuesday.

I have also heard varying differences of what angle you should be hitting the vault on a fronthandspring.

Throw us a bone with the video, but if you can't here are a few likely culprits:

Hurdle too high

Hurdle too close to the board

Feet are slow getting together and out in front for the punch

Slow punch

Weak heel drive

I'm not begging, but repost if you want me to expand on these items in excruciating detail all at my new and improved 25 wpm key bourd spid

ooh hurdle too high might be it, along with a slow punch. it's definitely not hurdling too close to the board as we have her hurdle with the entry mat the long way.

i'll try to get a video tonight.

Need a video. My guess would be that if she has speed and her shapes are correct, the table is too low or the board is too far away. That's just a guess.

board is at 2.5 feet and table is on 3, i will post a video ASAP

I'm going to agree with Todd on board distance, but disagree on table height.

The closer the board, the better (as long as she's not compromising body positions). The longer the preflight, the more power you're wasting that could have gone into postflight. Most of my gymnasts vault with the board between 1 and 2. Heck, last time I competed (as a 5'6" 24-year-old elite), I had my board set at 1'8", if I recall correctly (Todd was my coach at the time -- he probably remembers my settings better than I do).

As for table height, I used to tend towards a higher table, but more and more lately I've been generally tending towards lower table settings. The goal should be to contact the table just shy of vertical -- too low an angle, and the shoulders will have to bend to compensate, which can hinder a good block. Obviously, there's such a thing as too low, but that shouldn't create the "dead block" effect you're describing. I'd have to see a video to say for sure if table height is the problem, but I suspect it isn't (and I suspect it would be pretty apparent if the table was too high).

At any rate, the first thing I'd try is moving the board closer to the table.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back