Full or no full?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

BreezyGymnast

I'm confused on what to do for my tumbling passes this upcoming season. I am going to be competing my first year of level 7. I am pretty good at tumbling so I have a lot of options. A few skills I have are: back layout, full, fhs stepout roundoff bhs full, front handspring tuck, pike, and layout, front handspring flyspring front tuck, and I'm working front tuck front tuck. I really want my tumbling passes to be unique and different from everyone elses but I can't do all big passes because I don't have enough stamina. Please help me!

Very hard for us to answer a question like this without having worked with you.

Be aware, though, that you have to have a non-twisting back layout in your floor routine at level 7. You can have a back full in addition to this, but it doesn't satisfy the layout requirement.

What is your coach's recommendation? That should be between you and your current coach(es). It all depends on the main objective.

I agree that you need to get the coaches' views. Some coaches have the philosophy of do the minimum and keep it clean and these gyms will limit Level 7 routines to two passes--ro, bhs, blo and fhs, ft, pike or layout. Some think it's better to prepare for upper levels by doing three passes. Very few level 7s do fulls just because they're likely to have deductions. If your coach gives you a choice, think about which passes you can do without deductions and with controlled landings.

in my honest opinion, what's the point of adding a full into a level 7 routine if it does not fill requirements and only adds on extra deductions?

Ultimately, it is up to you and your coach and largely depends upon each of your goals for the season as well as long term.
You should know that competing a skill above and beyond what is required is just asking for extra deductions, though. You aren't going to score any higher for doing the full. But, it could be good competition experience if that is what you're looking for.

Technically, it's never advantagous to add skills to a routine that is not required. Scores can only go one way -- down. However, when it comes to bigger meets where competition is tighter, big skills that are executed well can help you get that edge over others. Of course, additional skills may help you when you're ready to move up. Keep in mind that one cannot impress judges with poor execution. *not implying anything but just pointing it out*

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back