Parents Funniest/Wierdest/Strangest.... Place Your Gymmie Has Done Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Olivia did cartwheels on a short wall while we were down in Disney! I put a stop to that real quick. She'll also do bar routines on the railings at any amusement park we're at while waiting in line for a ride. Or she'll climb a pole, anywhere, just because it's there. Just like someone else said, other kids see her do it and think it's easy. She makes it look that way! :cool:

My little girl loves doing cartwheels in the grocery store aisles (for some reason, it's always the frozen food section) and in Target. :)

My dd is definitely into the pole climbing thing too. She'll do it anywhere she can find a pole. A few others:

Press handstands on one of those big sand pipes at the beach;
Back walkovers all the way down the beach into the water (we live at the beach so basically all kinds of gymnastics at the beach, including handstands and presses on a bucket - together with her friends who are also gymnasts);
Beam routines in the aisles at Rite Aid;
Back handsprings on the bed;
Pullovers and front hip circles on the railings leading into pools;
She and her friend were barred from doing front hip circles, back hip circles, mill circles and basically whole bar routines on the playground bars during recess at school.
The entire bridge kickover part of the L4 routine in our garage in high heeled wedge flipflops - scary!

The weirdest, scariest one I've heard, though is my friend who told me she and her twin sister did giants on their swingset in their backyard. It think I would freak if I looked out my back window and saw that!

Oh, heavens - my list could go on forever! Places Flipper has done gymnastics:
1) Uses the wheel stops in parking lots (cement about 4" wide by 6' long) as a balance beam
2) Races down halls of hotels with her gymmie friends on their hands
3) The examination room of the dr. office is just big enough to do back handsprings
4) In the grass at the lake - big enough to do 20 BHS in a row before you get too dizzy and collapse
5) The tree at grandma's house makes a great bar (grandma would have YELLED at us for that!)
6) Highway dividers used to partition parking lot at baseball field - you guessed it, a balance beam. I was watching brothers game, but heard a commotion. When I turned around, she was doing BHS on the concrete divider and causing multiple heart attacks to the crowd that was observing - including me.
7) Half wall in hotel room
8) We remind her EVERY week as we walk into church, "You are in a dress, keep your feet on the ground!"

We try our best to get her to stay on her feet and behave in a safe manner. She says that she has gymnastics inside her that just has to get out!

At my boy's swim center, there is an area where they set aside old, defunct, unneccessary, etc, diving boards. One has been there forever and is secured to the ground (no idea why) and doesn't bounce (probably the wrong term--it doesn't go up and down). My genius daredevils decided during freetime from a meet to try to do one of their sister's beam routines. It was hillarious, especially because all the other little boys were crowding around, trying to do it themselves! We had to break it up quickly though...concrete, young bodies, and gymnastics is probably not the smartest combo.

They also like to do handstands on the diving board, which they always get yelled at for.

My girls are notorious for one day in kindergarten when they decided not to walk in line, but to try to do cartwheels in line. Silent lunch for both of them for that one.

'Course, it is all so cute that you feel bad punishing them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back