Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh yeah, and there was the one time I really straddled the beam, everyone else in the class was like "OH MY GOODNESS, are you ok???" freaking out about it, and I just shook myself off, sat down for a second, and got right back on. They all looked at me like I was insane! :p

:D:D:beam:i know the otherda i was at the parke and i was doing gmnasticks on the ceminent cus it is allmost licke a beame and this grandama and her grad boys wear loocking at the handstands and cartwells and all that stuff :beam::floor: and then the grand mum saide your amazing and i saide its just gymnastics she said o so is gymnastics on cement to and i lol and then i saide no but ther r the same tricks thou so it was funny.

Oh, that is priceless. Nothing is better than striking a move and people begging you to stop because it looks painful. :D

Haha! That's soo true! I remember when I was in like 2nd or 3rd grade I would always do splits in gym class and all the guys would cringe! lol

I love/hate when I say "I do gymnastics", they always ask if I can do the 'flips and stuff'. I always want to correct them and say, "actually, they are called back handsprings and back tucks". and then I have to say that no I can't yet, because I'm only rec.

And I love how little things are huge for people who don't do gym eg. Rips
:)eek: how can you do that, it must hurt SOOOO much!), I say I'm learning back handspring:)eek:WOAH THAT'S SOOOO COOL! Me: um, it's not actually that cool, I am mostly falling on my head/back/pride)

My dad also does not understand the difference between rec and comp. He is always making comparisons and comments about my coaching rec classes and what the comp girls can do, and I keep having to say "No daddy, if would come one night, you would see the difference between my rec girls and the National level girls. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sometimes, when we are learning combination in dance class, I'll throw some aerial cartwheels during "Freestyle" and everyone's like, "Woah, Omifreakingawd, How'd you do that?!" and I'm like, "10 years of gymnastics, maybe?". Then, in one of our performance dances, I do a stag handstand (With flexed feet..it was soo hard to learn! I keep wanting to point my toes!!) and everyone's like, "wow. Can you teach meeee?!". I go, "Uh. No." and thre's this one girl who everytime she's in my class she's like, "Omigawwd, Do a flippy thing with no hands.". I just walk away.

Apparently we swing on ropes

I thought my mom had picked up a lot about gymnastics until she asked if I got "rope burn" from the bars. I was confused, then I got it. After I stopped laughing and caught my breath, I had to explain to her that the bars bend a little because they are made out of fiberglass not rope.

So i have gym this semester and my gym teacher is the head honcho of the wrestling stuff, and thinks very lowly of girls. Also, there isn't a gym in my town and there are only two gymnasts at my school. We did our fitness testing the first day and one of the things was pullups. We do like 20 pullups a practice, and so i did 12. Just after i did them, he announced that the girls could just do a flexed arm hang and count the seconds. So i wrote pullups behind the number. When we turned them in, he said "12 seconds. Good! Really good!" I just looked at him and said ," No, i did 12 pullups" He didn't believe me, and then we were doing demonstration speeches for english, and i did how to progress to a backlayout full. So we went to the gym while class was going on and i demonsrated everything up to a layout full, and i look over when i was done and the whole gym class including my teacher was staring at me. It was really funny, and the next day at gym, he apologized to me about the pullups thing. It was just really funny in general. And now i'll be walking down the hallway at school and people will be like do a backflip!! or are you the kid that does all the flips? :D

Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

Such as... the majority of Gymnastics spectators (either in person or watching on TV) that always comment on how things are "Supposed" to be done? Or the ONLY skill they watch for is sticking the landing? The ones you wanna ask (and I have): "Have YOU ever do that? Do you have ANY clue on how hard that skill is to do? No? then Shush!"

Today I was with my friend and we had to go find someone. Since were not at a real gym, we have to vault downstairs where everyone has basketball practice. As we were walking out of the gym, a guy said to my friend, 'when are you gonna go that springboard thing?' and he pointed at the vault. She just casually said 'later' and after we went through the gym doors we both burst out laughing!:p

if one more person asks me if i can do a flip i think i'm gonna scream!!! one time someone asked me that at school and i said "no after 11 years of gymnastics, i can't even go upside. looks like i fail at being a gymnast." they were like, i take it thats a yes? and i said ya, add a 360 degree twist in there and then thats what i do!

Lol-I coach a high school team and our seniors always get to pick a theme and we order T-shirts...well 2 years ago the seniors picked "Yes, we can do flips and stuff!". I thought that was funny-I was/am a gymnast and always remember that question too (so can you do flips and stuff?).
Take care.

My mom told me this one as I was getting ready to leave the gym last night. I had given a note to my kid's parents about what I wanted them to wear for their Christmas Show, and it stated pink leotards(they're going to be Sugar Plum Fairies). As my mom was coming to pick me up she heard some of them talking about 'leotard? PLUS a gym suit?' (they thought that leotard meant leggings! ;) ) she piped up as 'coach's mom' and politely explained the gymnastics deffinition of leotard. :)

"wow, you flip on that thing?! but it is so high and skinny!!!!" (talking about the beam)
"it's no biggie"

during p.e. we were in the gym and i was messing around doing a "who can back walkover across the gym floor the fastes" contest and we did them so fast across and then said AGAIN!!! and did it a few times. everyone was like um yeah how does your body bend like that?! i said it's natural for me :p

haha i love this post!

ok whenever some one says '' do a flip'' ill be like ok and ill do like a walkover or a cartwheel and they'll be like wow i cant believe you can do that! and then ill be like i learned that in grade 1 and then their like wow! your good and ill like walk away saying to them by the way that wasnt even a flip then they feel stupid.

another one is one time i came to a school dance after gym and i still had chalk on the back of my hands and then people will be like wow does that stuff like have special powers to help you do all that crazy stuff you do and im like no we do it by our selfs.

When i was on chalkbucket at school a few weeks ago, my friend said that the site looked cool and she wanted to join because she is a fan of gymnastics.
A few days later we were talking about things that didn't make sence and she brang up chalk bucket "Why would you call a site chalkbucket, i mean what the hell is a chalk bucket". Then i said "You know before gymnasts go on bars, they put all white stuff on there hands from a bucket, Thats the chalk bucket"
Then she was like "ohhhhhhh"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back