MAG Future Stars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
At my ds gym there is a new coach who has the boys doing future stars stretching and I'm not sure what else. Ds says he refers to "future stars" often but I am not very familiar with it. Does anyone have any information on it besides what I can read on the USAG website. The coach has called a parent meeting for later this week, so maybe he will talk about it, but I guess I am just wondering if any parents have experience with future stars. Any info from gymnasts and coaches would be appreciated, also!
Thanks in advance.

Our gym does the Future Stars Program in addition to JO. Most of it you have already read online. There are usually only a few meets, state and regionals, and then for 10-12 yo, nationals. The routines are age based, not level based. They are harder, and challenge the kids a bit more than their regular JO routines.

It is a good program from what I have seen. It really builds skills at each age, and works flexibility, strength, and skills. My son loves doing the future stars routines.

Not sure if this helped or not. Let us know how the meeting goes!!

Our gym does the Future Stars Program in addition to JO. Most of it you have already read online. There are usually only a few meets, state and regionals, and then for 10-12 yo, nationals. The routines are age based, not level based. They are harder, and challenge the kids a bit more than their regular JO routines.

It is a good program from what I have seen. It really builds skills at each age, and works flexibility, strength, and skills. My son loves doing the future stars routines.

Not sure if this helped or not. Let us know how the meeting goes!!

Thanks,skschlag, that does help. So, if there are other meets they do, is it during it's own season apart from the regular boys season? Does it require extra training hours/tuition or is it all incorporated into the regular schedule?

At DS gym, it is typically just part of the workout. They use the flexibility and strength routines as warmups for workout. Many of the skills correlate with the JO routines, so some days they work future stars and other days JO routines/skills.

As for meets, the state meet is usually in August/ Sept and the regional meet in October. So the seasons are totally separate. In fact last year we only had regionals because there was not enough interest in the state.

So we had our meeting with the new coach and he only touched on the future stars subject. Sounds like they are bringing the program back to the gym and it will be as you described, integrated into the workouts as he's doing now. We are too late to really get into it this year, so next year will be the 1st time they try to get some kids to go to the future stars meets. Seems like a TOP's program for boys. We've had TOP for a couple of years now. I am happy they are using the stretching and strength routines with all of the boys, rather than picking out a few. I can see how it will help them all with their regular gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back