Getting a scrunchie to stay...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I know that, in the grand scheme of things, this is a silly little question. I've seen pictures of gymnasts wearing a bun with a scrunchie around it. It looks adorable, and ties the hairstyle in with the leo very niceley. However, I tested this with my daughter during a practice and it popped off her bun while she was tumbling. If I put it around twice, it squeezes her bun into something that looks like a projectile missile. I know she would be really embarassed (and hold me personally responsible) if the scrunchie popped off during competition. Do I just give up on the scrunchie all-together, or is there a way to get it to stay?

Thanks!

I always twisted it around twice.

Maybe your scrunchies are a different type?

Maybe you could make the scrunchie smaller?

I have never had a scrunchie fall off in a meet. Csast iron meet hair is my motto.

It all is key to how you do the bun. You need to make sure that the base of the bun is smaller than the bun it self so the scrunchie has a place to sit in a little groove you make. What I do is make the ponytail then take the pony tail and divde it into 4 sections and each section gets braides so you have 4 braids then wrap the braid around the base of the pony tail and pin it in so you have a bun when you are done. Then a Bun cover goes over the whole think and is secured at the base of the bun where the pony tail hoder is. That usually will give you that groove you need to keep it on the head. Also spray the hair so it is a little sticky that give the scrunchie some traction to hold on. Worse case put a small hole in it and pin it on.

I always use a bobby pin to attach the scrunchie to my daughter's hair. They make half size bobby pins that work great for this. I think my daughter has the most slippery hair known to man so I know all the tricks - LOL!! Hope this helps!

I start with dirty hair it works best....

Then put in a pony tail, get damp with a water and hair spray mix, and twist the ponytail secure with a hair tie or 2. Then put her scrunchie around bun and spray with a generous amount of hair spray. I have not had one come out either...

Th braids work great to but are work and I am basically lazy!!

When the girls wear scrunchies around buns in modern dance, they are told to twist the scrunchie up to make it tight rather than loose so you don't get baggy bits of scrunchie sticking out - it looks neater and forms a tight ring around the bun and tend to stay on better - or a couple of hairpins help

I know that, in the grand scheme of things, this is a silly little question. I've seen pictures of gymnasts wearing a bun with a scrunchie around it. It looks adorable, and ties the hairstyle in with the leo very niceley. However, I tested this with my daughter during a practice and it popped off her bun while she was tumbling. If I put it around twice, it squeezes her bun into something that looks like a projectile missile. I know she would be really embarassed (and hold me personally responsible) if the scrunchie popped off during competition. Do I just give up on the scrunchie all-together, or is there a way to get it to stay?

Thanks!
My daughter has thick straight hair. No matter what style, I find it best to start with damp hair. I also use "Got2bglued" which is basically glue for hair!!

For the bun, I usually do one or two braids. Then I wrap them around to form a bun, using hair pins to secure on her head. I think they are called hairpins...the ones that are wide and look 'open' not bobby pins that are flat closed. Hope this makes sense!!

Then, I use a hair net to cover the bun, twisting this a few times and securing with hair pins as well.

Placement of the bun on her head is key....she seems to like it just below the top of her head. I always ask her if it's in the 'right' place.

I spray this with hairspray and then use the scrunchie around the base of the bun. I do it once but her coach has done it twice...don't know how she does that!!

It's never fallen off no matter what!

All that being said, my daughter seems past the bun stage and prefers a ponytail now. Fine by me and her hair is just below her shoulder so it looks good and doesn't get in her way when tumbling. I still spray/glue the pony, too!! thankfully, her coach doesn't require that all the girls have the same hair style so that is good!!

I start with dirty hair it works best....

Then put in a pony tail, get damp with a water and hair spray mix, and twist the ponytail secure with a hair tie or 2. Then put her scrunchie around bun and spray with a generous amount of hair spray. I have not had one come out either...

Th braids work great to but are work and I am basically lazy!!

The braids are work but the bun will stay in for days so If she have an early AM meet I can do it the night before and it will still look great after she has slept on it and everything. Once you do it for awhile it doesn't take long at all. When I first did it it too me a good hour to get it up now I have it down to a science and can get it whiped up in like 15 - 20 min

You can use yarn and a plastic yarn needle to sew the scrunchie into her hair. Find a color of yarn that is close to the color of the scrunchie and cut short lengths of it...just long enough to loop over the scrunchie and pick up a small amount of the hair that has already been pulled back and secured by the ponytail under the bun. Then tie each length of yarn in a double knot and trim the excess yarn. (I can send you a picture of what I mean if it doesn't make sense.) This way you don't need to loop it twice and "squeeze the bun"...LOL

I use one or two bobby pins. You can kind of hide them in the folds of the scrunchie.

Spray that sucker!

EDIT: Sorry- I'm a bit overtired!Overtired = kooky posts :rolleyes:

LOL! So spray the scrunchie directly? You don't suppose the hairspray will make the colors in the scrunchie run and leave my daughter with a ring of blue hair?

Sew it to her head... well, that's maybe a slight improvement over a nail gun! No, I'm kidding. This sounds like a foolproof way to get it to stay!

This works with any hairstyle I have tried it on. Take one of those plastic rubberbands, you know the kind that people use to pineapple their hair with, personally I use the slightly larger ones in brown because my daughter has brown hair. Take the rubberband and loop it around the scrunchy and then through it self (so the scrunchie and the rubberband kind of appear to look like an 8 if you are just holding one end). Attach the rubberband first to your ponytail or bun or whatever and then the scrunchy. The rubberband keeps the scrunchy in. I've had the same rubberband on my daughter's scrunchy for a long time and I've shown this trick to quite a few moms on our team and it has seemed to work for every hair type.

I know these are completely confusing directions, so feel free to message me and I can try to e-mail you pics of what I mean.

This works with any hairstyle I have tried it on. Take one of those plastic rubberbands, you know the kind that people use to pineapple their hair with, personally I use the slightly larger ones in brown because my daughter has brown hair. Take the rubberband and loop it around the scrunchy and then through it self (so the scrunchie and the rubberband kind of appear to look like an 8 if you are just holding one end). Attach the rubberband first to your ponytail or bun or whatever and then the scrunchy. The rubberband keeps the scrunchy in. I've had the same rubberband on my daughter's scrunchy for a long time and I've shown this trick to quite a few moms on our team and it has seemed to work for every hair type.

I know these are completely confusing directions, so feel free to message me and I can try to e-mail you pics of what I mean.

No, this makes perfect sense. I will give this a try. Thanks!

We do the same thing except we use the fabric hair ties in the same shade as the hair. They don't come out and are kinder to the hair.

LOL! So spray the scrunchie directly? You don't suppose the hairspray will make the colors in the scrunchie run and leave my daughter with a ring of blue hair?

I spray where the scrunchie will be so it's a bit sticky, loop the scrunchie up instead of arond and then I spray the whole thing! I've never gotten my hair dyed funky clours from mine, so I think you'll be alright!

BTW, I did end up making a two tiny holes through the scrunchie so that I could thread a bobby-pin through it, catching the elastic. I positioned it so that the bobby-pin went in at the very bottom of the bun, so if there was a "pucker" it wasn't noticable. AND I "sprayed the sucker!" I sprayed her hair good before I put it in and then again after. It stayed put perfectly and her hair looked lovely for the entire mock meet and open gym practice after (if I do say so myself) and DD was thrilled. Many thanks for all of the advice. Maybe I'm not going to end up being hopeless with hair after all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back