MAG Giants Without Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My almost-8-year-old son recently got his giants on the high bar (regular bar, not strap). He doesn’t have grips yet because the head coach says that younger boys should not use grips because they will make their hands weak. None of the older boys at our gym learned giants without grips, so this must be a new approach.

I’m curious when boys start using grips at other gyms. Do they go by skill level or by age/weight? Are there kids doing giants without grips in your gym? At what point do grips become important for safety?

Thanks!

My son started using grips when he was 9 and had his kip consistently. He never did giants without them.

My son started using grips as soon as he got his Kip. He’s never worked giants without them, unless on strap bar of course. Now I have heard of some gyms not using rings grips until later. But my son was told to start using both after his Kip on hibar. Grip strength is still anchiebed I feel even with grips on. And PBars also builds that grip strength, too. And I believe he was about 9 years old, training old level 5, (new level 4).

Our gym follows the "get your kip, get your grips" motto. Our coaches would not let our boys start working giants on a regular bar without them being comfortable in grips.

Update: Now that regionals are over, my son was finally approved for grips. There was some concern among the coaches that the adjustment to grips would interfere with his newer skills but he was up there doing front and back giants the same day he got his grips. He said that he feels way safer doing giants and that kips are actually easier with grips. I think it may have helped that I got him Deitchgrips, which are designed for smaller hands. Anyway, my kid is very happy to finally have grips!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back