WAG Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has been working on giants for the best part of six months. She can do them with straps. She is getting so frustrated with herself as she can do them if the coach is stood next to her (not helping just stood there) As soon as the coach moves away daughter is unable to achieve any.

Any tips on over coming this please.

Any tips for giants and overcoming the fear (she is unable to say what the fear is)

It took my daughter about seven or eight months to get her giants, most of that time on strap bar. I think, ultimately, this skill is HARD and there is a definite mental aspect to it. She never once said that she was scared of them, until after she finally got them, then said "I think I was really afraid of them for some reason." (I was like, "yeah, I can totally get that.")

On the bright side, now she thinks they're super fun.

The skills take as long as they are going to take, is what I've learned. Especially as they get tougher and tougher. Repetition and persistence is what got her there in the end.

It took my daughter about seven or eight months to get her giants, most of that time on strap bar. I think, ultimately, this skill is HARD and there is a definite mental aspect to it. She never once said that she was scared of them, until after she finally got them, then said "I think I was really afraid of them for some reason." (I was like, "yeah, I can totally get that.")

On the bright side, now she thinks they're super fun.

The skills take as long as they are going to take, is what I've learned. Especially as they get tougher and tougher. Repetition and persistence is what got her there in the end.
Thank you I will let her know. I think it is frustrating her,as most in her team have the giants between bars now. I keep telling her it will come but she seems to put alot of pressure on herself thinking she is the only one finding it hard to achieve.
She has weeks where she can do giants on single bar then weeks where she isn't getting any at all.

Just don't know how to help her with this one. ‍

Last edited:
I totally understand. My daughter is having the same experience, but with her beam series. My inner mama bear wants to leap in and save the day, but ultimately this is her fight and she will rise to meet the challenge. It's so hard to watch them struggle and beat themselves up, but these challenges are part of the journey, and their joy when they overcome is so brilliant to witness!

Also, comparison is definitely the thief of joy in this sport, because everyone moves on their own track, and has different strengths and areas for improvement. So comparing herself against her teammates will just frustrate her more, and possibly complicate things. Try to remind her that as long as she is going in every day to practice and working hard, she's doing everything that she can do. The skill will come and go for a while, until one day it comes and decides to stay. :) Keep reminding her of that, and that she has to be patient and persistent!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back