WAG GK leos - sizing question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

suebee

Proud Parent
I ordered dd's first GK leo for her birthday that's coming up in a few weeks. I chose the size based on their sizing chart and her measurements. The chart said CXS for competition fit and CS for workout fit. I chose CS.

The leo arrived today and I compared it to her current leos. It is a few inches shorter than her current leos from shoulder to crotch. So I'm wondering whether I ordered the wrong size? I've read that GK leos run small, but I figured by ordering the workout fit, that was enough. Or do GK leos stretch more than other leos? I've ordered her other leos based on her measurements as well, and they fit fine.

I'm trying to figure out whether I should exchange it or hope for the best. Dd would be unhappy to realize that her birthday Leo is too small, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Thanks.

I used to help with a GK leo fundraiser at DD's former gym. It was amazing the size difference between different leos that were supposed to be the same size. Unless it's a velvet leo (those do seem to stretch a bit more) I'd say send it back. If I recall, they will generally charge you shipping a second time (and their shipping isn't cheap) but if you tell them that you went according to their measurement chart and it "doesn't fit", maybe they'll cover shipping. Any more, I won't order GK leos "sight unseen" because it's just too hard to be assured a good fit.

agree with Mary....DD loves GK leos but the sizes vary greatly, even within the same size. DD generally wears AXS, but has one AXS that is still way too big, a year and a half after we bought it. Meanwhile, she has a AS GK that fits just fine.

I would send it back, indicating that you went off their posted measurements, and the leo doesn't fit.

We've found GK vary a lot. I generally have to order at least a size above that which dd wears in other brands, sometimes more. We have one at the moment, I ordered a few weeks back, which is hanging glaring at me on the back of my bedroom door, because I haven't gotten round to posting it back yet... It's way shorter in the body than the others and I realised as soon as I got it out of the envelope. And the foil ones don't stretch too well and actually rub my daughter at the top of the leg if they are tight. Trouble is that they are usually shipped from the US to order. I feel guilty when they don't fit and I send them back to the UK rep, but it's frustrating that it's so hit and miss whether they will.

Thanks, everyone. I should have asked here before I bought it.

I looked at the sizing chart again and realized that I remembered it wrong. Dd is between sizes. She's between a CXXS and a CXS for the workout fit, so I even ordered a size up (CS) and it still looks too small.

How frustrating. It just seems wrong that my petite almost 5 yo who weighs less than 30 lbs and is 40 inches tall and wears a size 4 in most clothes needs a size medium.

GK leotard sizing is enough to make me want to drink. My daughter is still in a CM at 11, same as she was as a 7 year old level 4 who was 9 inches shorter. I thought for sure this year her competition leo ($300) would be a CL but no, still a CM. On the size chart on measurements she is a different size on each. As small as a CXS and as big as a CL. Nutty I tell ya!

My dd is almost 4 and is 35lbs. She *usually* wears a gk size CS but I won't order them or buy them without first trying them on because they vary greatly. One style gk CS is too small another to large through the chest. I would send it back or you can try to sell it.

ahh crap! just throw the kid in the dryer and she will shrink, right? gK LEOS are awful at sizing but they do last forever. My littlest dd is still wearing a gk leo that I think is like 10 years old and it looks brand new!

You should have her try it on before you send it back! I would be surprised if a CM fit her! My dd is significantly older/bigger than yours and she just started wearing CM. You might be surprised by how much it stretches.

You should have her try it on before you send it back! I would be surprised if a CM fit her! My dd is significantly older/bigger than yours and she just started wearing CM. You might be surprised by how much it stretches.

Ditto!
CM STILL fits my petite child who is 4'9" aalmond 12. She has worn this size the longest although now i will only buy CL. When she was a tiny 4-5 year old she was in CXS and then CS for several years. We run a Leo sale as well in the fall, and although the sizes do vary, they are usually within an inch different in length. A lot of people buy a bugger size for growing room, and then their kid's crotch is hanging out doing splits, etc. not a good look!

I also feel it should fit your dd. My dd is a small 10-year old (about the size as a lot of 7-8 year olds) and she still wears a CM. she did have two CM that she just recently outgrew, but she could still get them on, they were just a little snug. My dd is getting close to finally moving to a CL, but they are still a little baggy. She has worn a CM for a couple years actually. When my dd was 4, she wore a cxs. Measure the leo from the shoulder to crotch area laying flat and see if it matches the measurements on the GK site. That may help you feel comfortable that it is the right size.

There is definitely a lot of deviation in sizing of GK leos. Body shape of kids probably plays a part. My dd is moving into a GK AXS even though she is only 4'6" because her shoulders are so broad. There are still a few CL Leo's she can wear. She wears a size 12 top but size 8 skirts (tiny waist). I have found Destira (so far) to have more consistent sizing.

My 4 y/o DD is the same height as OP daughter 40" but weighs 34lbs, she wears a CS in GK. My 6 y/o wears a CM in GK.

i would def think that CS is right size.. my lil one still wears a CS and will be 6y.o., 37lbs 42in.. we have a few mediums (since i was tired of buying smalls) and the difference between CS and CM is huge! CM is so big she can't even wear it..

the foily ones def do not stretch like the bathing suit type material ones or the velour ones

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back