Going to practice sore... good or bad?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just got back into gymnastics after an injury so it was the first time working out after about 4 months. Ah i'm am soooo sore! Like every muscle in my body is sore and it hurts to even walk lol. But i have practice tomorrow so i'm wondering will that make the soreness even worse? Then will it ever go away if i keep on practicing while sore? Or does the soreness just fade away even while still working out? Thanks!

It is normal to be sore after that much time off. Drink LOTS of water today and take some ibuprofen to help with any inflammation. Working out tomorrow, will help to work the lactic acid build up in your muscles. Be sure to drink lots of water to flush out that lactic acid. Listen to your body and do not overdo it. Do what you can and it will all come back to you.

Soreness is not such a worry that it should stop you from training, it is normal to expect after a break. Go to practice and let the coach know you are very sore. The stretching and moving should help.

Can you get to a pool and do a few laps or even just float around a little bit? It works absolute magic on my gymnast.

i wouldn't take ibuprofen to stop inflammation since the inflammation process when being sore is a *good* thing:

it means your muscles are working extra hard on repairing the damage done through the workout and that's what you *want* them to do. it makes you stronger and more prepared for the next workout, and that's what training is all about: get tired and recover to a level that's above your starting level before working out. your body kind of says "i don't want to be so damaged again" and starts to get better prepared for the rigours of gymnastics. and the inflammation is part of this process. (inflammation just means more activity in the muscle tissue; it doesn't mean "ill" or "to be avoided").

personally for my athletes taking huge amounts of magnesium before giong to bed, combined with lots and lots of water and some light exercise (cycling, swimming), easy stretching and sometimes cold water (change heat and cold while taking your shower) helps a lot when they are really sore after a break.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back