Off Topic Good Books

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Well, This is sort of a spin off from another thread but more general. I thought here would be a good place to discuss books and related and give suggestions if everyone puts their favourite few books and their least favourite maybe it will start a nice thread.

Well my Favourites
HARRY POTTER - if you have not read at least the first i am sorry i will refuse to associate with you until you do. If you have never heard of it i suggest you get out from that rock you are living under and explore the world basically Read it!:D
To Kill a Mockingbird - such a cute story told so beautifully
Little Girls in Pretty Boxes

Least favourites
TWILIGHT! - to think that it has somewhat taken over the world and let me make it clear that it is not the story line that i find particularly tedious (it had the potential to be a great novel) However Meyer just went on and on and on and on and i am sorry Twihards but Edward Cullen is fictional and not to mention Robert Pattinson was Cedric Diggory first!

Don't have many others but i found pride and prejudice difficult to read.

Harry Potter
The Unicorn Chronicles
The Ender Saga/Shadow Saga
Seabiscuit
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Firebringer
Watership Down

....to name a few.

Favorites:
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Dune (first 3. After that they started to go downhill)
Down & Out in the Magic Kingdom, & a couple other by the same author
HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Almost ANYTHING Neil Gaiman
(are we seeing a pattern at all?)

And many many others. I think I read 5 books a week.

Awesome series that I have re-read multiple times, The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. There are four books, and you should definitely read them in order. In order, they are Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, and Talking to Dragons. They are a great read and if you're looking for something exciting and funny, they fit the bill perfectly. They are usually shelved in the young adult/teen section in the library, but you can read them to an 8 year old and they will get just as much enjoyment out of it as a 13 or 16 year old...heck, I'm 23 and I still love them!

Since I usually read in my car outside gymnastics, I tend to like light easy books these days so I usually choose from the young adult section. Here is my current list of likes:

Harry Potter

The 39 Clues series

The Gallagher Girl books by Ally Carter:
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You
Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy
Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover
Only the Good Spy Young

The Bayern series by Shannon Hale:
The Goose Girl
Enna Burning
River Secrets
Forest Born
Princess Academy (Not in the Bayern series but same author)

GO HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i also like reading biographies of gymnasts (esp. autobiographies! :D) and i have a lot of them at home..
Little girls in pretty boxes was really good! but also sad..
where the red fern grows was a really good book..
and lots more that i can't thinkof right now..

Harry Potter
Contact (Carl Sagan - there's not a lot the movie did right)
The Southern Vampire Mysteries
2001: A Space Odyssey
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Millennium Trilogy
The Ender Saga
Hitchhiker's Guide saga
Good Omens

Anything by Heinlein, McCaffery, Ringo, and countless others
Ender Saga
A Song of Ice and Fire series
The Deed of Paksenarrion
Honor Harrington Series
Dragonriders of Pern
Night Angel trilogy
Dies the Fire (and the rest of the Emberverse series)

Pretty much all Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Pretty bummed at how all these vampire books have taken over the fantasy shelves these days. Setting something in current times and adding supernatural beings just doesnt qualify in my opinion.

Anything by Heinlein, McCaffery, Ringo, and countless others
Ender Saga
A Song of Ice and Fire series
The Deed of Paksenarrion
Honor Harrington Series
Dragonriders of Pern
Night Angel trilogy
Dies the Fire (and the rest of the Emberverse series)

Pretty much all Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Pretty bummed at how all these vampire books have taken over the fantasy shelves these days. Setting something in current times and adding supernatural beings just doesnt qualify in my opinion.
I know what you mean! i can't stand Twilight, which is what essentially started it all except i have the issue that its taking up the young adult section :| i want to read books that aren't about a rather pedophile like vampire sneaks into a girls room to watch her sleep...ahh creepy much and besides i generally dislike the writing style and the grammar (although i am not really in the place to criticise as my grammar is terrible - having said that i am not a published author) is shocking! apparently she uses "lighted" as the past tense of "to light" as opposed to lit and i have also heard there is an unfinished sentence.

sorry for my little rant. i'm done :p

Here are some suggestions for good books which I have read.
Harry Potter, Oranges are not the only fruit, Elsewhere, The Yellow Wallpaper.

I love to read, but, like everyone else, a book has to grab me!
I'm a big fan of Sophie Kinsella/Madeline Wickham - She has such an informal style of writing and whatever the book, I always find myself unable to put it down. I love the 'shopaholic' series.

I also really like twilight

All time faves would have to be
Chronicles of Narnia
Harry Potter
The Hobbit
To Kill a Mockingbird

I love the LOTR films, but find the books difficult - I've got them though so I'll try reading them again!

I've also got the girl who kicked the hornet's nest on my shelf ready to read when I have finished my current book!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back