grips cutting into skin?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

so i just got new grips and they edge is cutting into my skin, like the side of the grip, and i even got a mini rip from it and the side seems pretty sharp. i can also see marks from where it cut into my skin. i have the reisport velcro grips. is it just because i havent broken them in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using wristbands? If not, you should. I don't know of any gymnast that uses grips without wristbands. Any wristand will do, cotton or neoprene. If you are already using wristbands and the part of the grips that is cutting into your skin is the part that sits on your palm, then you might want to show this to your coach and see if it can be filed without damaging the grips. I don't know how old you are or how much you weigh. My DD s young and does not weigh much. So, we opted for a lighter weight grips. She uses US Glove Hotshots. The leather is relatively thin and it breaks in very quickly. This may be a long shot but could the leather be too thick and your palms still not too calloused? In any event, the grips should not be cutting into your skn and hurtinf you.

Sometimes grips come a bit too wide and can rub on the sides of your fingers and palms when doing bars. This can be solved by cutting very small pieces of leather off the sides in strips with hedge trimmers. I've had to do this with my Reisport velcro grips, but I have found that I don't need to with my newer thinner pair. I'd also suggest filing down the edges if it really is cutting you that badly.

If the grips are cutting at your wrists then please make sure you are wearing wristbands. As 4theloveofsports said, every gymnast with grips needs them. If your already wearing them but they keep sliding down where your wrist is chafing, all I can recommend is to pull up your wristbands before each turn and hope that your wrists get calluses!

My daughter had this same problem. Her wrists are actually scarred. She never had this problem until recently. I even bought a second pair of different brand grips. I am also wondering how people have handled this.

please don't cut them. take some sandpaper and sand down the sharp edge. works great and does not compromise the integrity of the leather.:)

REISPORT.jpgREISPORT.jpg
thx for all the replies! but yes here is where the grip is cutting into my hands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back